Forum Terminology

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

Your tab that says "Unread Posts" is actually showing "New Posts." New posts are posts that were posted since the last visit (plus whatever delay time your software sets). An unread post is one that has never been looked at by the user. This is sometimes tracked by seeing if or when the user clicked on the post's thread. I remember long ago using a forum that could track both.

Your tab also says "Undone Threads." I can't figure out what that is supposed to be. Undone usually means "incomplete" or "not finished," which implies that there is work left to be done on these threads.

• What does it mean for a thread to be done? What is a user doing to the thread other than reading it? Does this mean a thread has been reviewed by the user and they are done reviewing it? I'm not sure I even see how that fits in.

By the way, when I click that panel it says "No items matched your search."

• So the correct term would be "Unanswered threads". That makes a lot more sense.

"Undone" would suggest it had been deleted, had an edit reverted, or was unapproved.

Thanks!

No, there is a function. When it is enabled for a board, you can mark threads as "done"/"finished" like tasks. It has nothing to do with read or unread.

MfG Markus Zhang (aka RouL)

• So the correct term would be "Unanswered threads". That makes a lot more sense.

"Undone" would suggest it had been deleted, had an edit reverted, or was unapproved.

Thanks!

Question/answer is an example, personnaly i use it for help request, like a ticket system.

• Most English are used to it being called "Unanswered" though. The user didn't get an answer they were looking for nor needed.

However in this case, "Undone" fits better because the Burning Board software itself has been using "Undone" and "Done" in the system for a long time and it's used like Help / Ticket System. If users post questions for help, and a staff responds with a helpful answer, the user gets that help from their response, then user can mark their thread "Done" - His response helped me, I'm done with this question now, thanks!" :) Which in turn, could help future users with similar issues.

I did this in their Technical Problems section on their support forum. It's also helpful because before posting replies to a thread marked "done", you get notified that it's marked "done" as well. "Done" means just that, it's "Done". No need to keep it/thread going/undone. No need to reply with, "thanks, a moderator can please lock this thread now." type post. Plus, users can see the status of the thread set to being "done" in forum view area too. Saves staff or whoever the work of checking out the threads as well.

• Your tab that says "Unread Posts" is actually showing "New Posts." New posts are posts that were posted since the last visit (plus whatever delay time your software sets). An unread post is one that has never been looked at by the user. This is sometimes tracked by seeing if or when the user clicked on the post's thread. I remember long ago using a forum that could track both.

After using the board a few days, it looks like I was wrong. Either that or the board changed the way it operates.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!