Adding Tumblr to Contact Options

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 5.4

I asked this question when I was using Version 5.3, now I have upgraded to Version 5.4.

DMedia answered me then, saying that it could be added when V. 5.4 was available.

Here is what he said:

This is not yet possible in the ACP, but will be with when WSC 5.4 is released within the next few months.

Until then, you need to create a custom output class in PHP.

This would then be set in the field "PHP Class Name For Output".

The regular expression defines which characters are allowed to enter in this field by the user.

So now that I have V. 5.4, I have tried setting up the Tumblr Contact Option via the ACP.

I have included a few screenshots to fully illustrate what I am trying to accomplish - and I have so far been unable to make it work.

Would appreciate some help with this, thanks.

• Hi Ruff Seas.

I was referring to the fact that you no longer need a custom output class with WSC 5.4 to show the username instead of the full URL. On the assumption that the profile URL for Tumblr pages is in the format username.tumblr.com, you can simply add a custom profile field with the type of labeledUrl and an URL of https://%s.tumblr.com. Users then need to fill in their usernames on Tumblr and it will create an output of the username as text with a link to their Tumblr page.

The setup of your profile field should look like this. The output class can be left empty and will be set automatically after saving the profile field.

Edit: Oh and yes, you may want to use a RegEx of ^$|[A-Za-z0-9]+$ as it contains the only valid characters for Tumblr usernames.

• Hello DMedia

I appreciate your continued efforts to try and make my Tumblr Contact link work in my Admin Profile.

However after trying everything you mentioned above in Post #2 - several times - I just could NOT get it to work (activate).

One thing I have noticed: in your first screenshot, under Properties >Option Type the Box has the word "LabeledUrl" in it.

In my ACP >Custom User Fields that same box has the word "text"

And I am unable to change it even though the box has the "down arrow" for the purpose of selecting another option.

So I don't know why I am not able to change this.

The other thing that has occurred is in my Profile Account for Admin, the Tumblr Box does appear but it has the text 4wardxposure2.

If I delete it and put it the correct User Name for my Tumblr account (which is forwardxpsoure2), the system keeps re-placing that with 4wardxposure2

And when I click on "Save", I get an error message that this is an incorrect entry.

I really don't know what else to do as this is apparently beyond my expertise.

• And I am unable to change it even though the box has the "down arrow" for the purpose of selecting another option.

I'm not 100% sure, but my guess is that you cannot change the type of an existing profile field at all or after it contains its first user value, because as you can see in my screenshot, i wouldn't have been able to change it aswell.

The solution would be to create a new custom profile field (e.g. Tumblr 2) to see if you can get it to work. If you don't want users to fill out their information again (which probably is easier for you), you should be able to create a SQL query for copying values from the original field, since the labeledUrl type is basically the same as the text type. I would need to look at this myself, but can probably help with that aswell.

And when I click on "Save", I get an error message that this is an incorrect entry.

Since you currently have a simple text field, this is probably caused by a faulty RegEx. Try deleting the RegEx for the existing profile field or if you are going for a new one, use the RegEx from my original answer and see if that works.

• Hello DMedia

You said:

The solution would be to create a new custom profile field (e.g. Tumblr 2) to see if you can get it to work. If you don't want users to fill out their information again (which probably is easier for you), you should be able to create a SQL query for copying values from the original field, since the labeledUrl type is basically the same as the text type. I would need to look at this myself, but can probably help with that aswell.

OK I will try creating a new custom profile field. Will get back here later with the results of that attempt.

As for creating a SQL query for coping values from the original field, I do not know how to do that.

As you suggested, maybe you can help me with that later.

Try deleting the RegEx for the existing profile field or if you are going for a new one, use the RegEx from my original answer and see if that works.

The value you gave me pertaining to RegEx didn't work when I tried it originally.

Will try again when I set up the new custom field.

Later .....

• woltlab.com/attachment/164528/Hello DMedia

I believe all possibilities (for me that is) are exhausted .....

but there are now a few different results than from previous attempts. See screenshots

Maybe I shouldn't feel this way, but it may be best for me to "move on" (unless YOU can come up with something other way of making this work.

There are other things (other activities and developments regarding my forum) of which I need to start concentrating on.

Dave

• The profile field still has an option type of text, which is not what you want.

Please create a new profile field exactly like this:

If you are unable to read anything, just open the image in its original resolution.

Also, you can and should leave the input for 'PHP Class Name for Output' empty, because it will be set automatically.

Your screenshot of the profile field has a pretty low resolution (maybe it got downscaled), which is why I am unable to properly read and check the values, but with my profile field, I am not able to reproduce the error as you can see here:

• Hello DMedia,

I follow EXACTLY what you showed in your first Screenshot, filling in the fields as you specified.

To make my Screenshots more clear and defined, I divided them into three parts. Please refer to them below.

Although this time the Tumblr link displays (and is active), clicking on the Tumblr link brought up a page on my computer screen

which stated (in part) - sorry, my Screenshot app does not provide the ability to take screenshots of Pop Up notices or Server error notices -

" Server Cannot Be Found".

I just noticed that in your second screenshot the Tumblr Link showing is NOT what I have. You can see this in my last screenshot below.

UPDATE:

OK, I found where to put in the value "forward2" in my Admin Profile.

So it now shows (displays) what YOU have!

But one thing I noticed. Clicking on the Tumblr link (as it is presently set up) brings any individual clicking on that link to ONE of TWO pages on Tumblr.

IF the individual waits long enough - (a few seconds or more depending upon of course on one's internet speed) - a SECOND page on Tumblr comes up.

QUESTION: Is it possible to make that SECOND PAGE come up upon clicking on the Tumblr Link on my forum INSTEAD of that "first" page

which auto directs to the "second" page?

I don't know, maybe Tumblr doesn't allow that ???

• Hello DMedia :)

Now that I have had time to actually click on the LINK for Tumblr and compare it with the LINK for Twitter, the "Tumblr link" DOES NOT

behave (operate) with the same type of results.

If you click on each of these links separately you will see what I am referring to.

With my Twitter Link, the person clicking on that link is actually taken to my Twitter account (it actually shows my Twitter Page - but of course the "visitor"

must Log IN in to their account in order to see everything. [There is a Log In link provided]

HOWEVER, with the Tumblr Link, clicking on that link results in something entirely different - or another way of describing it - the individual clicking on the my Tumblr Link is NOT directed to my "Home Page", e.g., "Wild and Reckless". Instead, it goes to a page on Tumblr that has nothing to do with my page on Tumblr.

So ...................

is it possible to program the Custom User Field Data in my ACP so that my Tumblr Link performs in the same manner with the same result as does with my Twitter Link?

It seems logical to me that I should be able to accomplish the same results with TUMBLR as I have with TWITTER. ;)

• Hello DMedia

So ...................

is it possible to program the Custom User Field Data in my ACP so that my Tumblr Link performs in the same manner with the same result as does with my Twitter Link?

It seems logical to me that I should be able to accomplish the same results with TUMBLR as I have with TWITTER.

Success!

I now have my Tumblr Link working as I want it!

Thank you DMedia, because without your continued help (and your patience!) I never would have learned how to make this work!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!