New Features in WoltLab Suite 5.3 (Part 5)

• Offizieller Beitrag

In this last part of our presentation series on WoltLab Suite 5.3 we round up the topic of the previous part New Features in WoltLab Suite 5.3 (Part 4) and would like to present further improvements of the administration panel. The focus here is on the simplification of recurring tasks and the simplification of processes without loss of functionality, in order to further improve the user-friendliness of the day-to-day operation.

Simplified Management of Package Servers

The system of different package servers has grown historically and is a recurring subject of questions and issues. With version 5.3 we have adapted the logic to simplify the process and eliminate sources of error. The update servers for WoltLab products as well as the Plugin-Store are now permanently available and are automatically adapted to use the correct version.

Upgrades will be enabled in the future by a simple switch that automatically adjusts the configuration to the correct version. Our goal is to improve this process step by step with newer versions to find the best possible solution.

Improved List of Search Results When Searching for Packages

We have revised the display of search results when searching for packages via the administration panel to make it more user-friendly. Official packages are now displayed at the top of the results, and are highlighted separately to help distinguish them from third-party packages. The description of the packages is now also displayed directly in the listing to make it easier to understand what kind of package it is. For packages from the Plugin-Store, a direct link is also displayed that leads to the corresponding pages in the plugin store.

Replace Media Files

When editing media, the file can now be replaced as a whole. This has the advantage that the new file automatically appears in all places where the media file was previously used, without the need to edit these places manually.

Improved Overview in the Moderation

We have revised the list of entries in the moderation. The display is now clearer and corresponds to the familiar operation and structure of the thread list in the forum.

Other Improvements

With the help of cronjobs, important tasks are executed in the background. The log of executed cron jobs provides information about whether the execution ran smoothly or whether problems occurred. This log has been revised in the new version and can now be filtered, which makes it much easier to find faulty executions.

When creating new content via the administration panel, the system jumps directly back to the empty form after submitting, which is especially convenient if you want to create several contents of the same type one after the other. But sometimes you want to jump directly to the created content instead. With the new version, the system now offers a direct link to the previously created entry, so you can go directly to its editing form.

The renaming of a user by the administration is now treated like a renaming of the user itself and is noted accordingly in the user profile.

It can be a nuisance if you as an administrator want to edit an older user account, but mandatory fields that have been added in the meantime have not been filled in. With the new version, the administrator can edit these users without having to fill in mandatory fields at all.

Marcel Werk
    WoltLab CEO

• I hope the time is running low for the beta to release. We are very curious about the feature and language file for translation. In fact, it would be great if a translation project was created for some languages that are used with the feature, such as Crowdin or somewhere similar. So I think many people can contribute. Do you have a plan like this ?

• I hope the time is running low for the beta to release. We are very curious about the feature and language file for translation. In fact, it would be great if a translation project was created for some languages that are used with the feature, such as Crowdin or somewhere similar. So I think many people can contribute. Do you have a plan like this ?

Hey BeReal

How are you?

I got the Crowdin project ready to go and you can access it here.

You are welcome to contribute.

See ya

Best Regards,
    Evandro (aka e.meneses)

Help translate Woltlab: I'm in!

• Hey BeReal

How are you?

I got the Crowdin project ready to go and you can access it here.

You are welcome to contribute.

See ya

Hello e.meneses ,

I'm fine thank you how are you?

Nice project, congratulations. Yes, I would expect a similar work from Wotlab management, actually I am expecting more language-focused. As seen on the link or according to need. Will the project be included in version 5.3 and higher? I would be glad if you add Turkish translation with version 5.3. I try to help.

• Hello e.meneses ,

I'm fine thank you how are you?

Nice project, congratulations. Yes, I would expect a similar work from Wotlab management, actually I am expecting more language-focused. As seen on the link or according to need. Will the project be included in version 5.3 and higher? I would be glad if you add Turkish translation with version 5.3. I try to help.

Sure.

As soon as they release the public beta, I will update the language string for translation.

Turkish is ready to go. ;)

Best Regards,
    Evandro (aka e.meneses)

Help translate Woltlab: I'm in!

• Hi,

I think the "problem" is that in the beginning WoltLab (as a german company) was focused on german customers first. And English as the foreign language, because most people all over the world can understand it.

I know it from some other vendors of board-software with similar problems as well.

Implementation of other languages is bit effort and mostly only possible with the support of (user-) native speakers with different languages.

The more help a vendor can get, the more new languages can be implemented. :)

Gruß

Jörg

(Jaydee)

• WoltLab Suite 5.3.0 Beta 1 is ready to translate. ;)

This is very good. I hope there will be more participation in general.

Hi,

I think the "problem" is that in the beginning WoltLab (as a german company) was focused on german customers first. And English as the foreign language, because most people all over the world can understand it.

I know it from some other vendors of board-software with similar problems as well.

Implementation of other languages is bit effort and mostly only possible with the support of (user-) native speakers with different languages.

The more help a vendor can get, the more new languages can be implemented. :)

Of course, as I said at the beginning, at least similar projects can be created. Some scripts other than the forum can provide support for more than one language with the help of their users other than their native language and common language. Woltlab had Turkish language support in very old versions. It was removed in the main version and translated and published in Turkish with the help of a user named Puts.

But, that friend has not visited this forum for a few years because of special reasons and the translation remains as it is. Other users try to translate according to themselves, some leave it unfinished, some do not translate Admin CP. Many unfinished works contain missing files. I find such a project very necessary not only for the Turkish language but also for the languages other than the official languages of Wotlab in general. Thank you for giving your opinion.

• Hey have a look what Wasserlasser has already translated:

https://www.woltlab-languages.com/

Maybe you guys can work together? Turkish seems to be already available!?

Better to make a joint project from that?!

Hello, yes I saw it.

However, there are translations of products available for a fee. Of course, this situation is normal after all, it is a labor and a job.

On the other hand, there are those who do free volunteer translations. I don't know which one would make more sense or the right one, this is a little relative.

Actually, I wish Woltlab was interested in this issue because of this dilemma. If they wish, I have teammates in my team who have a translator license, in other words, who are translators.

The purpose of this article is an already existing translated language file available for free and download. The Core + Forum is almost 90% translated and complies with version 5.2. Of course, with version 5.3, some phrases that need to be translated will come.

Thanks

In general I think it would be better to find a serious and permanent solution to these things.

• No worries, I am not offended when you mention the fact that I charge for the translations.

I do this in my spare time and so I see what I can do. If someone has something to translate, let me know.

I would love for Woltlab to just offer the downloads here as this would increase visibility but also inspire others to translate. When there is more people translating, prices will drop or go away, so this is a benefit for the community.

BeReal If you have translators in your team that is great. Looking forward to content from your side and of course, I can set links on my site http://www.woltlab-languages.com if you want.

Wasserlasser

• I Understood that there are differences of course.

However I liked your approach with crowding better because the "community" could translate and see how much is already been translated etc.

Therefore it would be great if you two could/would team up ;)

Wasserlasser I of course understand that you charge for it! Even though it is not much of course.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!