Image attachment issue -- missing attachments

• Betroffene App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

My users are increasingly experiencing this issue but it appears to be fairly random, not happening with all posts.

They attach an image, and when it is posted, it comes up as an image link, which when clicked, leads to a 404 Page Not Found error.

Example:

Leads to:

If I Edit the post, it looks like this:

And clicking on the 'HTML' editor button shows this:

Plus, in the Attachments section of the post is nothing:

Now, I can't find any way to recreate this manually, I mean even if people WANTED to do this they couldn't.

It's a big problem!

Can anyone help please?

• I can confirm my forum has also experienced this issue and again, it is intermittent.

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Still getting this even after latest patch. Alexander Ebert any idea when it will be fixed?

We have still not been able to find the cause of the issue. There were some things that appeared to have caused it, but in the end none of them turned out to be causing any issues. It's quite hard to track it down, because it is not reproducible in test installations, nor does it seem to happen on woltlab.com.

Do you run any third party plugins, and if yes, which ones?

Edit: Could it be, that these users are submitting a previously saved draft which already included attachments uploaded earlier? By draft, I mean messages that got automatically restored, including but not limited after a browser crash or accidential navigation.

• Do you run any third party plugins, and if yes, which ones?

Edit: Could it be, that these users are submitting a previously saved draft which already included attachments uploaded earlier? By draft, I mean messages that got automatically restored, including but not limited after a browser crash or accidential navigation.

Lots of plugins, I'm not sure how I can list them easily, but you have my login credentials from recent tickets if you would like to take a look?

I will raise this possibility about drafts but I don't think that's it.

• Just to give an update here, that this problem is still ongoing for my forum.

Do you run any third party plugins, and if yes, which ones?

Yes. See attached pictures:

Yes. When members upload images, but don't submit them, seems to be the problem, or at least what's been reported to me. They go away from the message, return to it a later stage, restore the draft, but the images aren't there.

I keep getting multiple 404 error messages from Google Search Console on this, which I suspect maybe one of the reasons why my forum, since moving over to Woltlab, has completely disappeared from Google's rankings.

This was the dicussion I had with the member on this issue:

Zitat von I

Stupid question for Heero, but I have to ask:

Did you upload the picture to the server and click insert, to insert the picture into the message?

Zitat von he

It was uploaded as normal but I forgot to submit it so todays post was from the restored draft.

Zitat von I

When you say restored draft, do you mean a draft message that was created today? Did your picture actually show as a picture in the message before you clicked submit?

There is still no picture there. Once you click insert, the picture should appear in the message, but I don't know how drafts are handled. I'll have a play around with it now.

Zitat von he

I'd created the draft message on Thursday and the picture showed in the preview but I forgot to submit it. Then on the next time I was logged on I went to the thread and the draft was restored complete with picture so I then submitted it and it showed in the thread. I've just checked and it only shows a link now to a not found.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Jupiter (3. Oktober 2017 um 18:39)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes. When members upload images, but don't submit them, seems to be the problem, or at least what's been reported to me. They go away from the message, return to it a later stage, restore the draft, but the images aren't there.

I suspected this and have added an additional mechanism in 3.1 that attempts to keep track of uploaded images from previous drafts. It required quite some changes, therefore I'll keep an eye on it to see if it proves itself, before backporting this change.

• Alexander Ebert  darjeeling  zukro

I appear to have resolved this issue. I checked the permissions for all my usergroups including "everybody" and "guests" and noticed that the download attachment option was deselected which was correct as I did not want non-members downloading attachments. I enabled this option and the problem has been resolved.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!