XML sitemap

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

I really really miss a proper XML sitemap.
    Since wbb 4 there is no proper bug-free package that allows you to create this.

Having an xml sitemap is important for google.
    It allows you to ping google when new content is available, speeding up indexation dramatically.

I've tested it and new threads where indexed by google in 15 minutes on wbb 3 (with seo plugin).
    Since wbb 4 it takes 1 to 2 days ;(

• Yes, I think the same. Google is getting smarter, but the sitemaps help the indexation more fast. I also think the indexation of WBB 4.X is more slower than WBB 3.X. Many times I have to send manually the information to Google to be indexed.

• I really really miss a proper XML sitemap.
    Since wbb 4 there is no proper bug-free package that allows you to create this.

Having an xml sitemap is important for google.
    It allows you to ping google when new content is available, speeding up indexation dramatically.

I've tested it and new threads where indexed by google in 15 minutes on wbb 3 (with seo plugin).
    Since wbb 4 it takes 1 to 2 days ;(

Use the seo addon? its only issues is a little bug when you enable internal lintitles..

• The SEO addon is very buggy for me and doesn't work properly by default on nginx.
    I already invested a lot of time in applying fixes in his code.
    The sitemaps section needs big changes as it consumes too much memory on big sites, they put everything in a big temporary variable, stopping the cronjob generating the sitemap.

• I already invested a lot of time in applying fixes in his code.

hmm, what kind of fixes and could you share them? Because it has some nasty bugs like a white screen of dead because a issue with pagetitle links when a user is banned... I reported the bug, but nothing has happend since then...

• The SEO addon is very buggy for me and doesn't work properly by default on nginx.
    The sitemaps section needs big changes as it consumes too much memory on big sites, they put everything in a big temporary variable, stopping the cronjob generating the sitemap.

This is the reason that certain characteristics must be at the core of the software and not addons/plugins. The customer can't trust external developers the basic functions of the software. Having an ecosystem of plugins is beautiful, but the basic features must be integrated in the software by default.

• Quote from K.Rens: “The SEO addon is very buggy for me and doesn't work properly by default on nginx.
    The sitemaps section needs big changes as it consumes too much memory on big sites,…

I totally agree!
    To me (and many users) SEO, internal rewrites and sitemaps should be part of the core features.

My fixes are all nginx related and sitemap related. So not to banned users.
    I then most likely have the same issue without even knowing it (I rarely ban users). :(

• I then most likely have the same issue without even knowing it (I rarely ban users).

I wanted to see how the banning feature worked and i got a white screen instead of ban message... never heared if it got fixed... if you turn of 'translate internal linktitles' it works without issues...

• This option is necessary... I'm tired of send my interesting content to Google manually...

Other software solutions use XML sitemaps...
    - vbulletin - https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main…ons_xml_sitemap
    - invisionpower - https://www.invisionpower.com/support/guides…ptimization-r26
    - Other communities use official plugins.

When you have a small community and Google doesn't crawl your page all the time, is a important solution to be indexed more fast.

• This option is necessary... I'm tired of send my interesting content to Google manually...

I found a solution that could work, not the best, but it does its job; use the main rss feed as sitemap from the forum index. It always has the 20 most recent posts and thus urls in it..

• Offizieller Beitrag

This option is necessary... I'm tired of send my interesting content to Google manually...

It is not. Either your site gets visited often enough, in that case no action from you is required. Otherwise you can send an URL to Google and set it to recursively crawl pages. This is basically the same as submitting a sitemap (which can easily grow really, really huge), with the exception that you don't need to take this extra mile. Historically the sitemap was useful to some point, but this isn't the care for a few years already.

• It is not. Either your site gets visited often enough, in that case no action from you is required. Otherwise you can send an URL to Google and set it to recursively crawl pages. This is basically the same as submitting a sitemap (which can easily grow really, really huge), with the exception that you don't need to take this extra mile. Historically the sitemap was useful to some point, but this isn't the care for a few years already.

I understand your pragmatism on this, Alex. But what about new sites? Those who just started -- before the list gets out of control, which may take a while anyway -- could benefit from a proper sitemap, since I believe it's still the best option for search engines to learn about a newly deployed site.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@rafix73 You could just submit the URL via webmastertools and pick the option to recursively fetch everything.

The bottom line is, that it has the exact same result without the need of a sitemap. Submitting the sitemap is a manual process, providing the URL and telling the spider to recursively fetch stuff is a manual process too. One requires to take the extra kilometer (screw your imperial units) by requiring a sitemap, the second works out-of-the-box. Now tell me, at which point exactly does the sitemap help you?

• I'm going to explain my case:

My forum have a section about daily news (in this case be the first is important). I did a tests and this is the results:
    - Waiting the automatic indexation by Google: 3-4 hours to be indexed.
    - Sending by Google Webmaster Tool: 1 minute to be indexed.

Send manually all "interesting" links to Google is not useful. This month (april) I sent manually more than 50 urls to be indexed more fast.

• Not only does Google suggest you use a site map, Bing now has their own webmaster tools and it is the 1st thing they ask of you... It's in step #1 when you first add your site. And if you don't, they even remind you about it.

see screen shot.

Spoiler anzeigen

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!