Extend ignore

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

On my site, ignore makes it so from your perspective, the person you are ignoring does not exist.

• You cannot see their threads
    • You cannot see their replies (comments) made on your threads
    • You cannot see their blogs
    • You cannot see their blog replies (comments) made on your blog
    • They cannot send you a PM (DM)
    • They cannot post on your wall.

I would very much like to see this applied to WBB 4.1 and feel its important.

I should point out that it doesn't block people from replying, it just makes it so you do not see or get any notice of those replies.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Aslan (12. Februar 2015 um 19:54) aus folgendem Grund: small mistype.

• I would hope that if it is planned that the mere block function remains existent.

The current block function only prevents people from sending you PM's.

This request would expand on that. But I am not opposed to the idea of having both.

Although I would like it be called, ignore. Because I would not want something that would prevent people from commenting on forums, threads, or blogs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The problem is that, in my view at least, that an "ignore" function in most forum is completely unnecessary. In most forums is only a "blocking" feature quite useful. I am using, for example, this function only since 4.0, because the operation in 3 * has made in my eyes no sense. I did not want all the discussions were torn apart and I had to click on "Show" every time. This was just too much clicking. Now I can, for example, here in the support forum, block users because they harass me with support questions via PM and still help them in the forum.

• The problem is that, in my view at least, that an "ignore" function in most forum is completely unnecessary. In most forums is only a "blocking" feature quite useful. I am using, for example, this function only since 4.0, because the operation in 3 * has made in my eyes no sense. I did not want all the discussions were torn apart and I had to click on "Show" every time. This was just too much clicking. Now I can, for example, here in the support forum, block users because they harass me with support questions via PM and still help them in the forum.

You're welcome to start your own thread and request a block function.

Personally, being someone who runs an uncensored community (socially uncensored), we could never insitute such a feature; because that would be by defector would be censorship... ie.. Preventing someone the right to voice their opinion or thought concerning another opinion or thought.

But we do believe in ignore. Because you should have the right to ignore someone, but not decide when someone else can voice themselves.

So I would encourage you to make another suggestion for consideration.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Aslan (28. Mai 2015 um 03:22)

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're welcome to start your own thread and request a block function.

We currently have a blocking function. Your proposal would change it only in an Ignore function, so you have to make sure no feature request. That's why I have expressed my concerns here.

Personally, being someone who runs an uncensored community (socially uncensored), we could never insitute such a feature;

You say it. YOU need an ignore function, but many also need a blocking function. You have such a unique community that I, personally, that the best solution, for you, is a plugin. In most communities, a blocking function is more appropriate.

FYI, you must not always quote my post. I wouldn't change it after an answer. I promise this you!

• You say it. YOU need an ignore function, but many also need a blocking function. You have such a unique community that I, personally, that the best solution, for you, is a plugin. In most communities, a blocking function is more appropriate.

FYI, you must not always quote my post. I wouldn't change it after an answer. I promise this you!

Actually, ignore is the norm.

phpBB
    MyBB
    XenForo
    vBulletin
    IP.Board
    Node BB

And the list goes on and on. It is a basic common function found in every current widestream development. So much so, that originally, I never thought to even check if Woltlab had one, because I just assumed it would. Block is not the norm and on any development, they would tell you to seek an add on.

So I'm thankful, that Woltlab has agreed to add an ignore function in 4.2. But I would welcome the option to turn it off for people who wouldn't want it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This list is not an argument. It may be that many software have this feature, but this say not that this function is useful.

But we think just once in one of the most advanced social networks: Twitter. Twitter also does not provide the ignore function. Only the "blocking" feature and this for a good reason.

Maybe YOU need this feature, but a large part of other people will not be needed. A blocking function is useful for every community. Communities are changing and the ignore function is slowly but surely disappearing from all the major softwares.

Moreover, it is childish to ignore someone. If you ignore someone, you do not brook him.

• This list is not an argument. It may be that many software have this feature, but this say not that this function is useful.

But we think just once in one of the most advanced social networks: Twitter. Twitter also does not provide the ignore function. Only the "blocking" feature and this for a good reason.

Maybe YOU need this feature, but a large part of other people will not be needed. A blocking function is useful for every community. Communities are changing and the ignore function is slowly but surely disappearing from all the major softwares.

Moreover, it is childish to ignore someone. If you ignore someone, you do not brook him.

You make my argument for me.

All major software providers include an ignore because a large part of other people feel the need for it. If there was no need

phpBB
    vBulletin
    XenForo
    IP.Board
    System Machine Forum (SMF)
    Node BB
    MyBB
    ect... ect....

None of those would have this as standard if there was no need. The fact that they do have it as standard, shows that people do use it and do want it.

But again, I would suggest possibly having both. Some people may prefer ignore and other people may prefer block. And I would leave it to the administrator to decide which option works best for his or her community :)

• None of those would have this as standard if there was no need. The fact that they do have it as standard, shows that people do use it and do want it.

That not an argument at all.

All of those Softwares use either BBCode or another form of markup. So by your argument IP.Board would be insane to move away from BBCode because it's what "all others have". But they do. The next version if Ip.Board will support BBCode only for compatibility reasons, and after that they'll remove it entirely and only provide a WYSIWYG Full HTML Editor and save posts as sanitized HTML.

So by your logic that move is stupid because all other board softwares have it and therefore there must be a need for it. That point is moot, on such a basis there is no discussion possible. It the plain'ol "Just because" argument.

If there is merit to having an ignore functiond not only a block funtion, bring compelling reason for it instead of relying on "but others have it". What is their justification of the function? Does this justification still hold up, or might it be a good time to abandon some old beliefs (as Ip.Board did when they moved away from BBCode)?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• That not an argument at all.

All of those Softwares use either BBCode or another form of markup. So by your argument IP.Board would be insane to move away from BBCode because it's what "all others have". But they do. The next version if Ip.Board will support BBCode only for compatibility reasons, and after that they'll remove it entirely and only provide a WYSIWYG Full HTML Editor and save posts as sanitized HTML.

So by your logic that move is stupid because all other board softwares have it and therefore there must be a need for it. That point is moot, on such a basis there is no discussion possible. It the plain'ol "Just because" argument.

If there is merit to having an ignore functiond not only a block funtion, bring compelling reason for it instead of relying on "but others have it". What is their justification of the function? Does this justification still hold up, or might it be a good time to abandon some old beliefs (as Ip.Board did when they moved away from BBCode)?

I personally see full HTML as a security risk, unless that have specifically defined exactly what html code is allowed and what is not. I've not as of lately taken a full in depth view of IP.Board 4 to know for sure.

But there some basic functionalities that I believe all forums keep as a universal standard. It's how we define forums. But as you pointed out, that is neither here or there.

I myself, will be looking for an add on in 4.1. It sucks that we'll need an addon, because we know it will be resolved in 4.2 So the idea of paying for an addon that will only be used for 1 years, isn't our normal policy in development. It's sort of a waste of resources. But we have a pressing need.

In the mean time; what I do know is at this time, I cannot sell the idea of moving to Woltlab Burning Board to the many sites I help administrator or manage until there is an ignore function. Piramily a lot of those sites have been stuck on vBulletin for a long time. And some of them are not particularly happy with IP.Board 4.

For that matter... I REALLY had to sell the idea to my partner that we use Woltlab Burning Board. She was dead set against it because there was no ignore in the core. And it was only the fact that it is planned for 4.2, that she finally agreed.

• I didn't want to start a discussion about HTML at this point (to be honest, I'm quite sceptical about that myself, but maybe they come up with something usable), neither did I want to give my opinion about blocking/ignoring.

But I've read the thread and the only valid point is "Others have it". And I'm never happy about those statements, because they add nothing of value to a discussion, nothing to help foster my own decision on wether something might be a good idea or not.

In fact, i think that both a blocking and an ignoring function have their merits. Some sites use blocking to great effect some others use ignoring. If we keep both, we can have the best of both worls and the admin can choose what he needs.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• In fact, i think that both a blocking and an ignoring function have their merits. Some sites use blocking to great effect some others use ignoring. If we keep both, we can have the best of both worls and the admin can choose what he needs.

Which is why I later suggest that perhaps both would be a good solution. I'm not opposed to having both. I in fact think it would be a good idea. :)

only valid point is "Others have it". And I'm never happy about those statements,

Sadly, sometimes that is really what it comes down too. Which comes into the argument of user familiarity. In the end, your users are going to be looking for features they have grown accustom to using and you're lack of such concepts makes you appear less appealing to their wants and needs.

This is why I'm having a VERY hard time trying to sell the idea of switching to Woltlab Burning Board everywhere else I administer or manage.

• I say that as a common user:
    Would you please stop to write in capital letters with red color? It doesn't make your arguments more powerful nor is it a useful typographic rhetoric advice. It is just awful.

I say this as a common user:

While I like blue as it is one of my favorite colors, the normal bold doesn't exactly stand out as an attention grabber with that background.

Although I can avoid using the caps lock and edited my post to reflect that change.

• Has anything come of the request for an ignore user feature? I am in need of this feature for my forum. Has someone made a plugin that will allow my users to place another user on "ignore" so that the ignored user's posts do not appear to the person who placed them on ignore?

Anyone?

If there is not one yet made, could it be done?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!