full editor on blog comments

• Often I have wanted to include a smiley or maybe highlight part of my message with bold text. So I would love the idea of having the full editor available on blog comments.

• This is also important because people will need to be able to use bb code.

My current blog, "Better Blogs" allows for basic bb code to be used in replies. When I port over to Woltlab Blogs, its going to look awful if there is raw bb code everywhere not rendering.

My members will also freak out if they cannot do so much as a simple BOLD text or hotlink a small photo.

• Twitter does pefrectly fine without an such things (granted, they have images). And many other plattforms keep comments simple, too. Disqus is used widely, and it doesn't offer any formatting options.

I am a fan of keeping things simple and not overload them. if you need thread-like discussion structures, just use the board in the first place. If comments look like a thread, then what's the difference between the blog and the board anymore? Why do you use the blog in the first place when obvoiuosly you put so much emphasize on discussing the blog articles? Why not simply post them on the board as threads and have people participate in the threads? You could even change the default sorting so that threads are sorted by the starting date, not he last post and have the same sorting as in the blog.

So please, do not blow comments way out of proportion. They should be kept small and simple.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• Twitter does pefrectly fine without an such things (granted, they have images). And many other plattforms keep comments simple, too. Disqus is used widely, and it doesn't offer any formatting options.

I am a fan of keeping things simple and not overload them. if you need thread-like discussion structures, just use the board in the first place. If comments look like a thread, then what's the difference between the blog and the board anymore? Why do you use the blog in the first place when obvoiuosly you put so much emphasize on discussing the blog articles? Why not simply post them on the board as threads and have people participate in the threads? You could even change the default sorting so that threads are sorted by the starting date, not he last post and have the same sorting as in the blog.

So please, do not blow comments way out of proportion. They should be kept small and simple.

Twitter also only allows for only 140 characters, but that doesn't mean we should do the same thing for blogs.

Disqus is the ugliest and least user friendly example you could have given. :P One of WebHostingTalk.com's competitor sitepoint.com switched to them and they're falling apart (last I knew). :rolleyes:

To answer your question.... My competition is a fully featured blogging community. We want forums and blogs.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!