Random Thoughts & chat

• Random thought...

Anytime I start a new project, I do so on a shared host. This serves two functions.

• I do not waste time or resources for something that may or may not be successful (the future uncertain)
    • It forces me to optimize and closely look at everything carefully

I think #2 is often the most beneficial.

Of course it also leaves me puzzled sometimes as I'll stumble across something that seems small, harmless, and seemingly beneficial... That turns out to use more resources that I originally imagined. It can be puzzling sometime too.

• A version of your plugin Robots dot txt has been rejected for the following reasons:
    The following file could not be found inside the package-archive: package.xml

Random thought...

Well that sucks. :P It's not meant to have a package.xml as its not meant to automatically install.

• You can deliver a robots.txt with a plugin.

You could even add some options to the ACP to configure the robots.txt ;)

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• You can deliver a robots.txt with a plugin.

You could even add some options to the ACP to configure the robots.txt ;)

I'm curious on how you knew what I tried to release. ?(

Not everything needs a plugin. :rolleyes: Heck, I don't want to have to install another addon for everything. :P Sometimes you don't need to make it complicated and it really is just simple. ;)

The one thing I have seen people look for over and over since I got here was what to put in robots dot text (robots.txt). And I'm surprised no one has ever made one that covered all of Woltlab's products and services in all that time. =O

This covers Woltlab Burning Board, Woltlab Blogs, Woltlab Gallery, Woltlab Calendar, and Woltlab Filebase. It also covers a few extras such as The Privacy Policy, Legal Notice, Terms of Use, ect...

If you don't have all those... Don't worry... Having a few extras entries in robots.txt will not hurt you ;)

This will help curb false 404 or 403 positives from Google or Bing, including internal links that your members may open post on the forum, and also curb other bots or search engines from following dead end link or producing double content in their crawling.

Instructions:

UNzip this archive (it does not self install)
    Upload the file robotx.txt into your main product root directory

• I've been looking for a robots text file for while myself, thanks! They almost should make section in plugin store for general things, or side store or some such. I was just going to release my plugins in plugins forum lol (even though they're installable).

• Hi @Aslan,

Personally I prefer allow ?postID= because if you link one post into a thread Google can't follow this post. Similar happens with /*?action=* parameter in the lastest posts in the board list. What do you think about this?

I also have disallowed sortField, sortOrder, filterByStatus and filterByDate parameters, to avoid unnecesary indexed urls.

• I'm making a fansite surround all things, Woltlab. ;)
    (lazy to type it all out at the moment... see screenshot)

Should be nice and welcoming. :) ;) There's some german plugin sites I might release the plugins too then as well, just finding time to finish my own to launch it is almost impossible these days. X( I also don't like the pressure either, regarding support for the plugins. I really only made mine to handle my needs, because no one really made them when I requested them long time ago, so I took matters into own hands lol. Would be interesting to see how your site pans out.

• Personally I prefer allow ?postID= because if you link one post into a thread Google can't follow this post. Similar happens with /*?action=* parameter in the lastest posts in the board list. What do you think about this?

You will get a lot of double content that way which will impact your SEO rating (lowering it). Further there is a thread around here somewhere on how that can produce errors with Google (noted in Google Webmaster Tools).

• I'm going to start saying I'm a ignorant about SEO and similar things. My experience in this area is based on trial and error. hahaha

This is my Webmaster Tool configuration now:

• Should be nice and welcoming.

You can give me feedback on the rules :)

• Please alway be courteous and respect toward your fellow members. To be clear, personal attacks, aggressive messages, and passive-aggressive behavior is unacceptable. If you take particular issue with another member and are unable to reply in a civilised and constructive way to their posts, you should ignore that member.
    • Please do not post anything which may be inappropriate. This includes, but is not limited to, profanity, sexual, sexualized or illicit content, hateful, threatening, provocative or vulgar content, links and websites and discussion encouraging the use of piracy or warez distributions, or any otherwise illegal content. Please do not attempt to circumvent the censoring options we have set up.
    • Whenever possible, please post your content in English as it is not possible for us to moderate Woltlab Dev otherwise. Foreign languages may be used provided an English translation is provided as well.
    • Messages involving Woltlab’s competitors must be constructive. Constructive criticism towards Woltlab in relation to other features is acceptable.
    • If you feel another member is attacking you or being aggressive towards you, please report their message to staff.
    • Do not bump threads unless you have something else to add to the discussion. Related to this, resources should not be bumped with updates unless the update is legitimate. Updates for the primary purpose of bumping the resource will be removed.
    • Personal information may not be posted unless it’s clear that all parties involved have consented.
    • If a moderator or staff member takes an action or posts a directive (for example, to stop with a particular topic), you must adhere to this.
    • Many third-parties have released their own resources (add-ons, styles, graphics, translations, etc) here. You must follow their specified license. If no license is explicitly specified, redistribution of the resource is not permitted. Violation of resource licenses will lead to resource access being restricted.
    • Please respect third-party resource authors and their contributions. Many resource authors release things for no charge and don't owe you anything. Attacking them will simply lead to them not releasing things in the future to the detriment of everyone. Understand that resources are not made specifically to your specifications. If you are unhappy with a resource, we recommend you pay to commission a custom-developed resource to your specifications.
    • Resource authors may not use any incentives to attract reviews to their resources. However, you may ask people to leave a review.
  • You can give me feedback on the rules :)

• Please alway be courteous and respect toward your fellow members. To be clear, personal attacks, aggressive messages, and passive-aggressive behavior is unacceptable. If you take particular issue with another member and are unable to reply in a civilised and constructive way to their posts, you should ignore that member.
    • Please do not post anything which may be inappropriate. This includes, but is not limited to, profanity, sexual, sexualized or illicit content, hateful, threatening, provocative or vulgar content, links and websites and discussion encouraging the use of piracy or warez distributions, or any otherwise illegal content. Please do not attempt to circumvent the censoring options we have set up.
    • Whenever possible, please post your content in English as it is not possible for us to moderate Woltlab Dev otherwise. Foreign languages may be used provided an English translation is provided as well.
    • Messages involving Woltlab’s competitors must be constructive. Constructive criticism towards Woltlab in relation to other features is acceptable.
    • If you feel another member is attacking you or being aggressive towards you, please report their message to staff.
    • Do not bump threads unless you have something else to add to the discussion. Related to this, resources should not be bumped with updates unless the update is legitimate. Updates for the primary purpose of bumping the resource will be removed.
    • Personal information may not be posted unless it’s clear that all parties involved have consented.
    • If a moderator or staff member takes an action or posts a directive (for example, to stop with a particular topic), you must adhere to this.
    • Many third-parties have released their own resources (add-ons, styles, graphics, translations, etc) here. You must follow their specified license. If no license is explicitly specified, redistribution of the resource is not permitted. Violation of resource licenses will lead to resource access being restricted.
    • Please respect third-party resource authors and their contributions. Many resource authors release things for no charge and don't owe you anything. Attacking them will simply lead to them not releasing things in the future to the detriment of everyone. Understand that resources are not made specifically to your specifications. If you are unhappy with a resource, we recommend you pay to commission a custom-developed resource to your specifications.
    • Resource authors may not use any incentives to attract reviews to their resources. However, you may ask people to leave a review.

Looks good man, just some random chick amateur nude selfies are always welcome though. :P lmao jk

• 9. makes no sense to me because it already is a law in nearly every country and WoltLab is not responsible for that.
    11. is not a rule at all.

It is missing a rule to prevent general double post.

Thank you very much @Black Rider for your valued feedback. :)

I completely agree with you that #9 is indeed overstating the obvious. This is the law of the land in almost every civilized country including here in The United State of America, as it is also in Germany. :thumbup:

However, I feel sometimes the need to overstate the obvious as I'm reminded that not everyone lives in such a country as you or I and so a reminder of how things are and what is expected does not do any harm. There is also certain liability to consider in having such a clearly public notice for all to see in the event sometimes takes a less than desirable action.

What your thoughts concerning #11 ?

• My personal thought: There should be only one rule: Don't be an asshole. On the other hand, this should be naturally, therefore we don't need explicit rules, common sense should do it. Reality of course is a different story.

Assholeism unfortunetly is a matter of perspective and in the eyes of the beholder. :(

I've seen people who were polite, be respectful, say please and thank you... Yet everyone thought the person was an asshole and I and other never saw it. On the other hand, I've seen people be rude, disrespectful, use foul language, and you'd think he/she was St. Peter in the eyes of folks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!