Like our own content

• can't "like" your own stuff in xenforo, but you can with facebook lol. i don't mind either way if you can or can't "like" your own stuff. isn't big issue for me, if you don't want to "like" your own stuff, then don't lol. sometimes users might want too though, to show others they support their suggestions, opinions, posted links for other sites, music video, photos, etc etc.

• Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ryborg (6. Mai 2013 um 14:38)

• It doesn't make sense because people can abuse this to get what they want. For example if you have an add-on or a function that rewards people according to their likes, then people can simply like their own posts until they reach the amount of likes needed for the reward. Furthermore, it's pointless because people don't have to 'like' their own content to like it, because it's already given that people like what they write. If you don't like what you say, why say it?

I see what you're saying too. My buddy said the same thing on my other forum. It could be abused in some cases I'm sure, along with the fact that most know you "like" it, if you're posting it in the first place. It's good to get both view points out in the open though. ;) In XenForo, it's disabled for posters totally, so it prevents the "abuse". I guess in the case for Facebook, it doesn't matter if users "like" their own stuff or not though, because there's no "rewards" or anything to gain from it. In forum software, it could cause problems.

• I agree, this shouldn't be possible. Doesn't matter if big brother facebook allows it, it's just wrong. And as Ryborg points out, there might be plugins that rely on reasonable likes.

Maybe at least give the Administrator a global setting to allow/forbid self-likes.

Firefox 26.0 on Linux Mint 14 (cinnamon)

• Maybe at least give the Administrator a global setting to allow/forbid self-likes.

I was going to mention it, but removed it from last reply... Cause I figured, even if there was global setting to turn it off, the "dishonest" administrator could keep it turned on, and still abuse system/plugins lol. So having global setting for on/off wouldn't matter much, well, to a dishonest administrator /member lol. But would be nice feature to have regardless though, especially for "honest" administrators.. :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von smooey (14. April 2013 um 02:44)

• I was going to mention it, but removed it from last reply... Cause I figured, even if there was global setting to turn it off, the "dishonest" administrator could keep it turned on, and still abuse system/plugins lol. So having global setting for on/off wouldn't matter much, well, to a dishonest administrator /member lol

Why would an administrator have to abuse his own system?

• Why not? By 'global' I mean 'for all users'. So either everybody in the forum can self-like or nobody, depending on the admins understanding on how likes should be handled.

Also, assuming that the admin will 'abuse' something doesn't really work anyway. He has access to virtually everything including the database so technically he can always do whatever he wants…

• Why would an administrator have to abuse his own system?

Well, I was just speaking in terms of those specific niches, and you just never know these days how people are in general. Warez forums, gaming forums, etc etc. Most warez forum owners, aren't considered "honest" in the first place. lol. I guess I was just thinking along the lines of those that don't care what their users do or don't do, and allow it as globally turned on, and their members abuse system. I'm running low on coffee today I guess, forget my last post. :P

• Also, assuming that the admin will 'abuse' something doesn't really work anyway. He has access to virtually everything including the database so technically he can always do whatever he wants…

Yeah, true. Hence above, saying to forget last post of mine lol. Admin could do anything they wanted regardless.. If there was a global on/off feature though, I'd have it "off". I don't think users should "like" their stuff after all. Most know you "like" it, because you wouldn't have posted it in first place, and the fact of "abusing" it.

• It's not because Facebook allows it, it's because it already was possible in Burning Board 3 and nobody said anything against it.

For me, a rating and a like are different. Rate a topic can be based on all messages for example, the like function is more "personnal". In user renomme from Hawkes, you can't rate your own content, and i find that very good. Sometimes members abuse, it's true for me with user renomme where member rate negatively other member they don't like, so if they can rate their own content, the function have no sense for me personnaly. The best is allow the admin to deactivate the possibility for members to like their content themselves.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Eagle1281 (14. April 2013 um 12:33)

• It's not because Facebook allows it, it's because it already was possible in Burning Board 3 and nobody said anything against it.

That's because you could't see who liked a thread and also because nobody ever really used that like system (no offense, just an observable fact).
    Also what @LuFo said.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!