Internet Security Software Companies

• Hello everyone,

Can anyone reading this suggest a reliable, trustworthy internet security software which helps protect one's computer, phone, website, etc., from malicious hackers and intruders

without that same software company deliberately (or otherwise) actually doing more harm sometimes than the malicious intruders and hackers?

Would appreciate hearing from individuals who have had "hands on" experience with Internet Security System Software companies.

Over the past 20 years I have tried several different companies, and not one of them would I go back to - the last company I tried turned out to be a real "bummer" (bad experience).

• Hi again,

at your other thread I wrote 2 examples:

• Avast, in the basic version freeware and very good for private computers and mobilephones. Payware for more features.
    • G-Data as a German company and a worldwide leader in Security-Software include Network-Firewalls and so on. It's payware.

Gruß

Jörg

(Jaydee)

• Thanks Modelcarforum !

After I have looked into these I will come back here and "report" on what I think about these two.

One thing I can add (generally speaking) about "free ware" internet security software:

I have this friend who refuses to spend money on internet software protection services. So about 8-10 months ago his computer got hacked into and he lost ALL his files - much of which he put a lot of work into. So that experience sort of turned me off of "freeware".:rolleyes:

Customer

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can also just run the latest Windows version with all updates, enable the Windows Defender, set the UAC to the highest level and call it a day. Now add some common sense and keep a safe distance to shady websites and you're done. Especially the UAC is huge, it is the single most effective tool to defend against malicious programs.

Most "internet security" software actually decrease the overall system security, because they run with extremely high system privileges, but more often than not suffer from security issues themselves. In the recent years, these "security" softwares have become a valuable target, because they have a large attack surface for bad guys to exploit.

It really is that simple.

Alexander Ebert
    Senior Developer WoltLab® GmbH

• And don't forget: The biggest issue is always in front of the keyboard. ;)

Don't click any links in mails you didn't request or open the attachments (and so on, only one example).

Keep your brain on and everything is fine. :) Some platforms don't need any additional security-software.

Gruß

Jörg

(Jaydee)

• Hello,

Thanks to Alexander Ebert and Modelcarforum for your reply.

After a very frustrating experience with trying out G-DATA security software early today (got locked out of my own computer, and it took me three hours to figure out how to get around that lock-out and get to "uninstall") I decided NOT to get involved any more with security software companies!

I will use Windows security only.

DJ

• Here's mine:

1. Avira since 2011.
    2. Windows Firewall Control (from BiniSoft to MalwareBytes) set to Medium Filter.
    3. CleanBrowsing (Family Filter if I'm not @ home / Adult Filter when I'm home). Previously I used OpenDNS but switch to CleanBrowsing for YouTube filter.
    4. UAC to the highest level as Alexander mentioned.
    5. Block ads on your browser.
  • Here's mine:

1. Avira since 2011.
    2. Windows Firewall Control (from BiniSoft to MalwareBytes) set to Medium Filter.
    3. CleanBrowsing (Family Filter if I'm not @ home / Adult Filter when I'm home). Previously I used OpenDNS but switch to CleanBrowsing for YouTube filter.
    4. UAC to the highest level as Alexander mentioned.
    5. Block ads on your browser.

Hello Ramiru,

I logged onto the website of Avira. It appears they offer a variety of internet protection levels as good as anyone else; and at reasonable prices.

I'm using bitdefender for quite some time now. Only the file security annoys me a little bit.

Hello SoftCreatR,

I tried Bitdefender once a few years ago; cannot remember why I did not stay with them but at least they were not as "bad" (frustrating)

as G-Data. That was an experience I don't ever want to experience again!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!