Prompt guest to register

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.1

I am looking for a way to send GUEST to the register page when they get to my site. I would be ok if there was a way to send them after a certain amount of time or clicks. Or maybe after they click a reply button. Or maybe a pop-up that tells them to register.

Anything actually that will send people to register. I'm tired of people looking at the forum and giving nothing back. I want their email if nothing else.

• Anything actually that will send people to register. I'm tired of people looking at the forum and giving nothing back. I want their email if nothing else

I know what you are experiencing; and I have tried various ways to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish.

However the only "remedy" so far that I have come up with is activating the "Forced Login" option in the ACP.

But I would be open to suggestions by others reading this Post if there is a "better way".

I am looking for a way to send GUEST to the register page when they get to my site.

From what you stated (above), am I correct in assuming when "visitors" arrive at your site they are directed to a "landing page"

which does not show the Login In / Please Register Links?

Or what is presented (shown) when one does first arrives at your site?

Perhaps you could give the URL of your site so that anyone reading this Post can get a better idea of how your site is set up -

and therefore be in a better position to help you?

• Maybe this can help you:!:

Darkwood.Design
    21. Dezember 2021 um 09:46

Norwegian language files to (WSC 5.2 + 5.3 WSC 5.4 + 5.5 and The New 6.0 ) *no.xml* Unofficial Language Packs

• I just turned back on the above plugin so that when they start to leave it prompts them to register. I just wish it would do it Everytime they leave my site as a guest. Once they take the cookie it doesn't prompt them anymore.

• http://www.slingshotinfo.com is the site. You land at the dashboard when your go to the site. I allow you to view the forum and threads as a guest. If I didnt I could go to facebook and post links back when people ask for help with something we have the answer to on the forum.

Hello rabtech,

Thanks for submitting your URL of your site!

BTW, looks really great. Your Header Logo is really sharp!

But to get to your current reason for this Post:

This is just my "two cents worth", however I think you are allowing Guests to view a bit too much when they first view / log onto your site.

As for the Plugin: "Exit Intent Popups", that really doesn't solve your issue - as you discovered.

I think Throwholics has a better suggestion. [In Post #5 - not Post #7]

I am going to change my site from "Forced Login" back to the standard Login View as soon as I upload all the Apps

I want to include for my site; however, this time with following Throwholics suggestion he has given you in this Post.

Hope you get your site arranged to your satisfaction soon!

DJ

• You can enable the guest mode so that guests have a lmited view on the site. Then you can use the guest and everyone userrights to disallow everything but the login/register page.

Hello Throwholics,

I have a question for you regarding your above statement.

[Additionally I thought entering my questions and concerns in this particular thread instead of opening a Support Ticket,

may perhaps help other forum members.]

As a "trial run" for my forum site, I disengaged the "forced login" option in the ACP temporarily.

I have denied "Guests" the ability to view my forum.

However, they can still view and read all the forums I have - among other parts of the forum.

Does this mean that the settings for "Everyone" must also be the same as the settings I have given to "Guests"?

I must admit, I have always been somewhat confused about the "Everyone" Permissions.

When logging into the ACP area of "Users Permissions" - as relates to the settings for "Everyone" - there is a message

at the top of the page which warns that the Admin of the forum is also included in this particular permissions setting;

and that

" ...changing these settings can result in being locked out of the forum".

You said: "...guest and everyone userrights to disallow everything but the login/register page.

I don't recall seeing where this particular item, i.e., login/register page is mentioned or listed, but it must be in the same location I assume.

I would appreciate your comments on what I have said above, Throwholics

DJ

• Yes also for everyone disallow everything.

With that setting above one should be redirected as guest. And then there was a plugin by gn5VmUKCtv6ekrMf to redirect guests completely.. Maybe he can help? I didn't find the plugin with my smartphone

Hello Throwholics.

I could not find the plugin you mentioned by MysterCode.

The only plugin that I saw with reference to "Guests" is the plugin named HideForGuests by the_waiters -

which I may purchase.

Perhaps I am mistaken, however I thought the developer MysterCode joined in with another developer ... but I can't remember who.

DJ

• It's in the ACP -> Configuration -> Users -> Registration. Set Force login (Visitors are required to log-in themselves to access the page.) to Yes.

Foudn it again :) uses to be a plugin but it's within the core already.

Have a look :) this should help you out.

The old plugin for WCF 2.1 and WCF 3.0

https://update.mysterycode.de/package/9-g%C3…login-umleiten/

Since WCF 3.1 it is within core itself

• Hello Throwholics,

Yes I know about this - it is what I have been using (as I checked "Yes").

I may still look into HideForGuests by the_waiters - as this Plugin appears to extend the possibilities of limiting what "Guests"

can access and what they cannot.

As for the "Forced Login" setting in the ACP, it has some good points but also some which are negative.

In order to alleviate some of the negative (the draw-backs) of having a Forced Login, I created several Logo Headers for my forum which show

"what's inside" my forum should someone serious;y consider joining my forum as a Registered Member.

These Logo Headers are auto-rotated, using the Header Rotation Plugin.

I haven't given up on possibly going back to the "standard" look vs. the Forced Login look.

However, my experience with "adjusting" the Guest Permissions has not yet worked out to my satisfaction.

Thanks to Throwholics, I now know how to prevent certain Threads from being shown to "Guests".

However, that still leaves the opportunity for Guests to access other areas of the Forum.

For example currently on my Forum the following forum features will appear even if I 'block out" all Threads to "Guests":

Dashboard; Articles; Forum

With regards to "Dashboard", that would mean Guests could still view and read what is on the Dashboard.

The same for "Articles".

For "Forum" I am not sure what happens because I haven't yet tried to block out (deny) ALL Threads to be seen by Guests.

But this also leaves yet another question:

What happens when I purchase and upload (this coming month) the following APPS: Blog, Calendar, Gallery

Are these going to show to "Guests"?

The only other way of handling this issue that I can think of, would be to have an "introductory page" when someone goes to my Forum.

After looking at this page (which would display some basic information of what the Form is about),

the "Visitor" would click on a LINK which then goes to the Main Forum Page OR to the Dashboard.

However, I do NOT know how to make such an "introductory page". This probably involves having someone design the page,

upload it to a specific area of my Domain Name, and also provide a LINK to the Forum within that introductory page.

Am I correct in assuming this?

Does any know for sure about how this can be accomplished?

If you do, let me know, thanks!

DJ

NEW UPDATE 2: July 29, 2020

Success! Have accomplished what I originally set out to do:

Everyone MUST Register in order to see the Forum - (except for those Threads/Topics/Posts and Visitor Statistics) that I want everyone

to see / view.

Additionally, it is necessary to make "restrictions" via User Groups in the ACP for the Group "Everyone". The number of restrictions and as to exactly what these are, depend upon what affect or goal one is trying to achieve relative to the forum's Landing Page!

Some settings can be done through the following areas of one's forum (as Admin of forum > ACP):

Apps > Forums > Permissions > "Everyone" and "Guests"

Boxes

Articles (Categories)

AND whatever APPS one has added to his/her forum

I have uploaded 3 Screen Shots in case anyone who has read, or will read this Thread, and is interested in restricting their forum to

Registered Forum Members only.

Hey Devil - Get behind me and don't push, shove, or kick! ^^

My Forum: https://totally-blazon.com

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Ruff Seas (29. Juli 2020 um 13:26) aus folgendem Grund: Added "new update"

• Relative to my Post directly above this one, I ran into a what appeared to be a "problem" with securing my forum

as accessible to only those individuals I want to view the established forum content.

I was able to correct this apparent problem with additional settings in "User Groups".

But that has led me to a couple of questions - please refer to the two attachments I have included.

I would appreciate a response from all those persons who are a part of this Thread, as well as from Alexander Ebert.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The warning message is displayed for all groups that you are part of. For example, the administrator group is just a group with a set of permissions and a specific name, but other than that, it doesn't differ from any groups. You cannot drop your privileges by making changes to the Everyone group though, because the privileges of your regular admin group overrules the required permissions.

Have a look at Usergroups and Permissions, which explains in detail how the groups work and how the effective permissions are computed.

In addition to what I said above, WoltLab Suite 5.2 introduced the concept of an owner group. This is a very unique type of group that features a lot of hardwired settings:

• Access to the admin panel cannot be revoked.
    • Can always edit all groups without exceptions.
    • Can always set all permissions for all groups at will, so even if a permission was dropped, it can be regained at any time.
    • Members of the owner group can be banned and disabled, but this will have zero effect upon them. They will always be able to log in and carry out actions.
    • Members of the owner group cannot removed themselves from said group, only other members of the owner group can revoke the membership status. This is in place to prevent users from removing themselves by accident (which happened way too often in earlier versions…).

That said, if you're a member of the owner group, you can't lock yourself out. You could limit your own permissions, but at the same time have the ability to grant them yourself again at will.

Alexander Ebert
    Senior Developer WoltLab® GmbH

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!