Forums Vs. alternate communication: An Opinion

• Hello everyone,

I would like to share this communiqué that recently occurred between me and someone whom I have known for several decades.

Would anyone here on Woltlab forum like to comment ?

I have already replied to this person, but have not included my reply herewith because I do not want to possibly influence anyone’s opinion who may have the interest to make a comment

Below is my email sent to a person I have personally known for several decades:

Hello [Name withheld],

Can you log in - at your convenience - and view the Categories, Threads, and Posts I have thus far established?

I also would appreciate it if you could take the time to make a post in one of those Categories.

There are few at the moment, but there will be more as the days and weeks go by.

His reply:

I looked at it. I did not leave a post as I have nothing to say that needs to be posted .I don’t participate in Facebook or Twitter or any of those other sites. Everybody has or can have opinions about everything.

My opinion about anything would be just one more among billions of others. Anything I say could have the potential to upset, anger or confirm somebody else’s opinion.

There are already too many people making too many opinions about everything, and anything I say would not impact anybody else’s opinion except to confirm or negate what their opinions are.

I know people who spend hours and hours daily on social media making comments that either confirm or disparage other people’s opinions. Why? In the end, those opinions are pointless. They either create more anger in the world, or they accumulate more “likes” which feeds their desire to be liked by an many people as possible and makes them feel good about themselves and “accepted”.

Feeling good about oneself comes from within, not from what other people think about you. Life really is short, so why spend time searching for likes from out there. Instead, spend your time doing things that make you feel good about yourself.

Ruff Seas

• So what?

The viewpoint of this guy (presumed he is male) is not wrong, only somewhat extreme. Likes-hunting and influencing are developments made possible by social media. Some people get addicted to that, others see it as a kind of danger and stay away from it. Both have good reasons respectively. I think, you won't get him to participate in your forum.

Btw. the topic does not match the essence of your text properly.

• Ruff Seas 7. Juni 2020 um 21:52

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Forums Vs. other available social media commnication“ zu „Forums Vs. alternate communication: An Opinion“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!