Articles, but not the 'Blog' Articles ?

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.1

For the moment I am keeping myself as the sole Blogger.
    But, I want to be able to enable registered users to to submit articles for publication in the Non-Blog article area.

As the admin, when I access the articles page I am presented with the option to submit an article, but if I log in as a user, I am not.
    Am I trying to achieve something that is not possible ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes.

That's incorrect, users can actually be granted the permission to submit articles.

Can contribute articles controls the ability to submit them, which needs to be paired with the permission Can access Administration Control Panel, because articles can only be created through the admin panel in WSC 3.0/3.1 (the upcoming 5.2 adds the forms to the frontend). Please keep in mind that the general permission to access the admin panel by itself is not a security risk, because you still limit what the users can do in the admin panel.

• I created a user to test this, and sure enough that user gets presented with the option to add an article.
    But, when doing so they are presented with the Admin toolbar giving options that I do not want them to have. Things like html 5 etc.

And when this user submits the article it is published straight away without moderation.

Also, when at the point of entering text the Users icon is not displayed, the Admin icon is displayed.

• That's incorrect, users can actually be granted the permission to submit articles.

Can contribute articles controls the ability to submit them, which needs to be paired with the permission Can access Administration Control Panel, because articles can only be created through the admin panel in WSC 3.0/3.1 (the upcoming 5.2 adds the forms to the frontend). Please keep in mind that the general permission to access the admin panel by itself is not a security risk, because you still limit what the users can do in the admin panel.

This is information I, too, find helpful with regard to developing / setting up my Forum.

And I especially like: " ... (the upcoming 5.2 adds the forms to the frontend)."

Yet another reason to upgrade to Version 5.2 when the time comes for me to do so.;)

• That's incorrect, users can actually be granted the permission to submit articles.

I was going to say the same. That you can grant members to create articles, but as said requires you give members some admin permissions to do it

• Please keep in mind that the general permission to access the admin panel by itself is not a security risk, because you still limit what the users can do in the admin panel.

How can you give users access to your ACP and the ability to submit articles without them being able to change anything else?

• How can you give users access to your ACP and the ability to submit articles without them being able to change anything else?

An excellent question!

That's incorrect, users can actually be granted the permission to submit articles.

Alexander Ebert: After thinking this subject over more carefully today, I must admit the mere thought of anyone getting access to the ACP

to any degree - especially with regards to individuals coming to my forum whom I know absolutely nothing about -

scares the "living daylights" out of me!

So unless you can explain this issue of "limited ACP access" in terms that are more reassuring to me, the upcoming Version 5.2

(with regard to Articles) is probably the best way to proceed.

• So.

What is the bottom line ?

Can users have the ability to submit articles ?

As mentioned before by Alexander, yes. The only dropdown is, that they need access to the ACP, which which may sound strange in the first place, but it's not a risk, because the rights can be set individually, just like with any other user group.

• I am going round in circles here ...

I am able to give the user group access to the ACP, I can permit the users to submit articles, but they are able to submit articles without permission which I certainly do not want, I can't find a way to deny them this. And I cant find the setting to deny them access to the Admin toolbar for inputting text. It has the sort of options that only I want to have for security reasons.

And what is version 5.2 ?
    What are the benefits ?
    When does it arrive ?
    How much does it cost ?
    Will it take my dog for a walk ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can you give users access to your ACP and the ability to submit articles without them being able to change anything else?

Simply by not granting them any of the other admin permissions.

Just think of the forums, just because somebody is registered doesn't mean that person can magically delete posts and threads. Permissions control the ability of each user and especially the admin panel has an enourmous amount of restrictions set up, just for this purpose.

• Well I have spent some time trying to sort this one and it seems that the html option has vanished from my disallowed bbcodes list.

So if it is not there, I am unable to deny it.

See the attachment about this. I have disabled everything in the admin panel except can access ACP, and can Submit Articles.

• Simply by not granting them any of the other admin permissions.

Just think of the forums, just because somebody is registered doesn't mean that person can magically delete posts and threads. Permissions control the ability of each user and especially the admin panel has an enourmous amount of restrictions set up, just for this purpose.

*I will assume you are 100 % correct - until proven otherwise.

However, despite your re-assurance to all of us that it is safe to allow an individual access to the ACP for the purpose of posting content

to ARTICLES, I remain a bit "uneasy" about the procedure.

It is not uncommon for "hackers" to gain access to "sensitive areas" of a computer or computer program - it happens all too frequently in the

'real world'; not just with the average Joe, but with military and government sites too.

Just by allowing / setting up one simple ACP access command (as is being discussed in this Thread) could possibly give the needed edge

the hacker would love to have, eh?

I have no burning desire to give unknowingly anyone even the remote possibility that, given an "inch", they can take a "mile".

I will wait until Version 5.2 of Woltlab Forum Software is available before taking any further action on this issue of Articles.

*I truly, honestly hope that it is never 'proven otherwise' - for the good of us all; and that of course includes Woltlab.

• However, despite your re-assurance to all of us that it is safe to allow an individual access to the ACP for the purpose of posting content

to ARTICLES, I remain a bit "uneasy" about the procedure.

So why don't you just test it out with another "demo account" added on your forum.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well I have spent some time trying to sort this one and it seems that the html option has vanished from my disallowed bbcodes list.

The "Everyone", "Guests" and "Users" group can never be granted the ability to use the html bbcode for safety reasons, therefore that option is visually hidden, because it cannot be unmarked.

• So.

Is it possible to allow a user to submit articles for publication ?
    I have disabled everything in the admin panel except can access ACP, and can Submit Articles.

This gives the user the option to submit articles for publication, but they go straight past any moderation which I do not wish.
    It also provides the admin version on the toolbar of the text input area, with the option of html etc, again I do not wish this.

And this text input page also displays the admin icon, not the users icon.

What is the solution to this ?

• So why don't you just test it out with another "demo account" added on your forum.

For your information, my reply (of which the "text" immediately below has already been stated in Post 16) is :

'I will wait until Version 5.2 of Woltlab Forum Software is available before taking any further action on this issue of Articles.'

The Woltlab Developers must have had a logical reason for upgrading "Articles" in Version 5.2 of the Woltlab Forum Software.

I am comfortable in waiting for that upgraded Version to be made available.;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!