Reactions, Cover Photos, First Setup, and Emails on Errors

• Offizieller Beitrag

Welcome to the first of five spotlight threads for WoltLab Suite 5.2 in which we will introduce some of the new features of the upcoming version! This thread outlines two new features for your users, reactions and cover photos, and two new features for you as the administrator.

Reactions

Across all of our apps, users are able to like or dislike content via a “thumbs up” or a “thumbs down”. WoltLab Suite 5.2 introduces a new system that lets users react to content: reactions. Instead of just two options (or even only one if dislikes are disabled), reactions are completely configurable down to the reaction name and image.

By default, WoltLab Suite 5.2 comes with the five reaction types shown in the animated image above but new reaction types can easily be added via the ACP and existing reaction types can also be edited or delete, of course.

During an update from a previous version, existing likes and dislikes will be kept as “thumbs up” and “thumbs down”, respectively.

Cover Photos

With WoltLab Suite 5.1, we added user profile cover photos that let users customize their profile by uploading an image that is shown at the top of the profile page. In version 5.2, cover photos will be available in more places: They can be added to articles written in WoltLab Suite Core, to calendar events, to blogs, and to blog articles.

Based on these cover photos, we have also updated the presentation of articles in lists to make use of cover photos.

First Setup

To make it easier for new administrators to configure WoltLab Suite, we have added a new “First Time Setup” page that is shown after the initial installation and allows setting some of the available options that administrators might want to change immediately after installation.

Emails on Errors

Whenever an error occurs, it is logged and the error message can be accessed in the ACP (or directly via the filesystem if the ACP cannot be accessed). To inform administrators quicker about potential problems with their site, we have added a new cronjob that periodically checks for new errors and if there are any new errors, an email is sent to the administrator.

• I always put the German threads through the Google translator and sometimes they make sense and sometimes they don't, but as its where the vast bulk of the knowledge and info is about the WoltLab software, English speakers should at least try to read the German threads.

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Great, any estimated time of release?

exakte Termine für die Veröffentlichung der neuen Version gibt es bisher noch nicht. Die Beta-Phase startet voraussichtlich im Mai/Juni. Mit der fertigen Version kann man aus jetziger Sicht im August/September rechnen.

There are still no exact dates for it. Beta is planned for May/June and the release is planned for August/September.

• So it possibly could get next month when the new version is released in BETA format to try out, which is only days away until next month now. I'm not doing much with my new site then put online today because there really isn't much point with this newer version just around the corner that I'd sooner use with the improvements

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (26. Mai 2019 um 19:36)

• I always put the German threads through the Google translator and sometimes they make sense and sometimes they don't, but as its where the vast bulk of the knowledge and info is about the WoltLab software, English speakers should at least try to read the German threads.

If you use Chrome browser, can't you just have it all translated instantly into English to read. I know FireFox doesn't do that, but thought Chrome does.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!