• Don't be silly Paul, all I'm saying is that I don't want to post my home address on my site because of people like YOU and your mates on those other forums you all hang out on.

NicoleSophie haven't you posted personal information belonging to people on those other forums without their permission? Don't lie to anyone, plenty of screen shots exist of you doing it.

• NicoleSophie haven't you posted personal information belonging to people on those other forums without their permission? Don't lie to anyone, plenty of screen shots exist of you doing it.

It's you lot on BASH.zone forum that run around posting personal information of people and stalking Facebook looking for info you can find on them from family members with your group of deadbeats. Oh! And lets not forget the forum your mate Mark.B runs also doing it at scrotnig.com

It's all their Paul for people to read if they visit them two links I just posted

• Look how one of your mates just joined Paul to back you up. Proves my point about you all working together as a troll group to stalk people. People should keep in mind when visiting them two links I posted, you use Paul and not PJK posting on them two forums.

• As usual you want to try and cause trouble with me on this forum because you know I'm a customer and would like to see me get banned. So Paul starts being funny, then his mates join backing him up. Na, I'm done saying anymore and all this will get deleted when WoltLab staff see it.

• Back on topic, I'm curious to know how my forum should gear up for this as it's hosted in the USA and I manage it by living in Argentina.

If you read another post made in this topic. It doesn't matter where your site is hosted from, what matters is do you fall under the GDPR based on the country you live in. Hosting your site in different country like the U.S that isn't currently covered by the GDPR doesn't make you exempt from it, not if you (yourself) live in a country covered by it.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (21. April 2018 um 15:08)

• If you read another post made in this topic. It doesn't matter where your site is hosted from, what matters is do you fall under the GDPR based on the country you live in. Hosting your site in different country like the U.S that isn't currently covered by the GDPR doesn't make you exempt from it, not if you (yourself) live in a country covered by it.

Back on topic, I'm curious to know how my forum should gear up for this as it's hosted in the USA and I manage it by living in Argentina.

Also, would it be possible to use the WoltLab Privacy Policy as a template?

Do forums with a few dozen members around the world (including the EU) and not set up as a business, fall under this new law?

As Splinter stated: 'Back on topic'

I am personally interested in this legal issue regarding GDPR as with regard to Forums and Websites an individual or business may have - or intends to have soon - (my partner and I come in the latter group mentioned).

"Interested" from basically two points:

ONE: What would happen if my partner and I just ignore the GDPR? - (Or to put it another way, we DO NOT comply with the GDPR Ruling) !

TWO: Since both my partner and I live in the U.S., and our joint forum project will be based in the U.S., but Hosted by a company who is in a country other than the U.S., are we legally bound to comply with GDPR?

I may be wrong, but I think the nearest we (my partner and I) will get to the "legal bottom line" regarding this issue, is to consult with an

attorney who is well experienced in Internet Law.

Since our new forum will contain highly sensitive materials and adult content as well, we have already made the decision to consult with an attorney we have selected.

Depending upon what he tells us, we will make our final decision as to whether or not we comply with GDPR.

DJ

• I was reading one person from XenForo has simply just added his forum name and an email address as contact information on his privacy policy and then told others they can copy it for using for GDPR if they want. Seems to me reading other threads about it posted on XenForo and other sites - nobody else has brought up the thing about the Name and Address needing to be listed.

I've been waiting for somebody to bring it up on them other forums and see what the response was, but they just ain't bringing it up at all like they don't know.

https://theadminzone.com/threads/gpdr-w…15#post-1117109

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (22. April 2018 um 02:58)

• Do forums with a few dozen members around the world (including the EU) and not set up as a business, fall under this new law?

TWO: Since both my partner and I live in the U.S., and our joint forum project will be based in the U.S., but Hosted by a company who is in a country other than the U.S., are we legally bound to comply with GDPR?

Yes to both - if you have users from within the EU or have users from a state that falls under GDPR, according to Article 3 (which I already linked on the first page of this topic). Note that hosting a forum is "offering a service" in this context. If you do not with to be bound to GDPR, you have to exclude EU members from usage of your site (not offering it to them).

Zitat

This Regulation applies to the processing of personal data of data subjects who are in the Union by a controller or processor not established in the Union, where the processing activities are related to:

1. the offering of goods or services, irrespective of whether a payment of the data subject is required, to such data subjects in the Union; or
    2. the monitoring of their behaviour as far as their behaviour takes place within the Union.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• ONE: What would happen if my partner and I just ignore the GDPR? - (Or to put it another way, we DO NOT comply with the GDPR Ruling) !

Thats too early to say at this point, and I doubt you'll get a definite answer on an online board, since it involves international law and that can be quite convoluted. If you read the topic, this has already been answered, btw, with the relevant articles from GDPR quoted. Basically, the answer boils down to that how exactly violations are handled is not part of GDPR, but is regulated by bi- and multilateral treaties and then boils down to how local authorities implement those.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• If you do not with to be bound to GDPR, you have to exclude EU members from usage of your site (not offering it to them).

Lol, I didn't know that.

Now that is going to drag just about every forum owner into having to follow the GDPR, no matter where they live. Most forums will have European users on them.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (22. April 2018 um 11:37)

• Thats too early to say at this point, and I doubt you'll get a definite answer on an online board, since it involves international law and that can be quite convoluted. If you read the topic, this has already been answered, btw, with the relevant articles from GDPR quoted. Basically, the answer boils down to that how exactly violations are handled is not part of GDPR, but is regulated by bi- and multilateral treaties and then boils down to how local authorities implement those.

That's a funny one then. Because if somebody lives in a country outside the GDPR but runs a forum with European users on it and they ignored the GDPR. What reason would their own country have to take action against that person, when the legal system in that country is not bound by the GDPR laws. How can a country enforce a law on a its citizens that doesn't in theory exist for them.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (22. April 2018 um 11:56)

• What reason would their own country have to take action against that person, when the legal system in that country is not bound by the GDPR laws

The principle of reciprocity.

Some treaties to enforce foreign judgments already exist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enforceme…reign_judgments

You could probably write volumes of books about international diplomacy just to get to the bottom of how exactly GDPR enforcement will be implemented world-wide. Again, I am not able to judge which existing treaties might cover GDPR (or parts of it), and neither do I know whether new treaties specifically relating to GDPR have already been signed or are in the works. This would be an interesting topic to explore, though, and if you find good reference sources feel free to share them, I'd be delighted to get some more concrete, well-sourced information on that.

• I'm late to this thread and trying to work out what I need to do.

I'm in the UK, so we don't Brexit for another two years.

My forum is more of a hobby than a business, but it raises some funds through donations and affiliate linking.

Apart from the name and address thing, which I'm sure I can get around, are there any other adjustments I may need to make - like will we be obliged to allow members to delete their accounts etc?

• I'm late to this thread and trying to work out what I need to do.

I'm in the UK, so we don't Brexit for another two years.

My forum is more of a hobby than a business, but it raises some funds through donations and affiliate linking.

Apart from the name and address thing, which I'm sure I can get around, are there any other adjustments I may need to make - like will we be obliged to allow members to delete their accounts etc?

I am including herewith a LINK (BELOW) to the official and complete GDPR Regulation.

It consists of 11 Chapters, and those 11 Chapters have 99 Articles.

IF you truly want to know exactly where you stand on this issue, a consultation with an Attorney who is knowledgeable

(and has experience with legal matters of this type), is highly advisable.

Relying on the "comments", "advice", and "opinions" of those individuals out side of experienced legal expertise can give

one a false sense of "security"; and at worse may have severe consequences in the final result.

Securing an attorney who has the legal expertise to advise you correctly on this serious issue will not be easy;

I already know this from my experience in searching for such an attorney. However it is not impossible, just difficult.

Additionally, prepare yourself for spending a large amount of money; legal issues (especially of this type) DO NOT come

without a "hefty" price tag.

LINK:

https://gdpr-info.eu/

• Ruff Seas That link has been posted numerous times in this topic.

I posted the link - along with some comment - in response to Moonclamp 's Post #61.

YOU apparently don't approve.

There is one other reason - besides replying to Moonclamp's Post - for posting the particular LINK I did;

and that is to bring "focus" (or deliberate attention) to the fact that the GDPR Regulation is VERY lengthy, and VERY complicated -

meaning, that anyone WITHOUT A LEGAL BACKGROUND and EXPERTISE in issues of this type should seek out knowledgeable legal advice IF THEY ARE SERIOUS ABOUT COMPLYING WITH THIS REGULATION - or even if they are not intending to comply.

• Was reading yesterday that Facebook and Linked-In have moved all their users data that was stored in the UK over to America to avoid the GDPR. Typical move by Facebook. After what's just happened with them over the data breach and them saying they respect people privacy and now they show just how much they really do by this next move from them.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/201…ean-privacy-law

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (28. April 2018 um 02:03)

• They didn’t move all data but all data that don’t belong to European users. Otherwise, because they are stored in the European Union they were protected by the GDPR even if they belong to African users. To avoid that they moved these data.

There’s no way for them to avoid data of European users from being applicapable by the GDPR but they can decide if data of other users need to be protected the same way.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!