Media sub category and images added to them

• Betroffene App
    WoltLab Suite Core

I have my both my Article and Media categories set the same way like this image shows below. So if I added an article in the Year 2018 sub category - I would also add any images used in that article in the Media year 2018 sub category. But I have noticed a problem with images uploaded to sub categories not staying in the right one they was uploaded to, instead moving themselves into the first Year 2017 sub category when so many images have been uploaded already into the 2018 one. Like an overflow effect is happening and they start being auto moved into the first Year 2017 category when reaching a set amount.

So I have now had to delete any sub categories used with MEDIA and just use one category only to store them all in. As it seems it's pointless using sub categories with uploaded media items? If it's just going to randomly move images to another years sub category that you didn't actually uploaded the images to in the first place.

And I have also noticed. If I went into the Media section and searched all images in the Year 2017 sub category, then spotted some articles images used for Year 2018 in it. Then click edit the media item and choose the 2018 sub category to move it into instead. That doesn't work either and it stays put in the Year 2017 sub category still.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (29. März 2018 um 20:30)

• Matthias Schmidt 5. April 2018 um 19:30

Hat das Label Rückmeldung erforderlich hinzugefügt.
  • There is no point me opening a ticket now because I deleted the extra sub-categories for MEDIA a week ago and only use 1 main category instead to solve the issue, and upload all images into that. So it's not something I can play around with reproducing again, you would have to test it on a demo board here or something.

I now have it just like this instead and avoid using sub-cats with Media

If you say you tested it locally and couldn't reproduce the same issue. What I will say the issue only started happening after about 10 or more images was uploaded into a sub-cat. It didn't happen straight away with only a few images uploaded in sub-cats - so you may need to follow exactly what I did in the first post adding about 2 sub-cats and then test uploading about 10 or more images into each one, preferably uploading them to the second sub-cat listed in the list mostly to see it happen. As it seemed to be that second sub-cat they was being dropped from and placed in 1st sub category instead

8 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (5. April 2018 um 21:44)

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you say you tested it locally and couldn't reproduce the same issue. What I will say the issue only started happening after about 10 or more images was uploaded into a sub-cat. It didn't happen straight away with only a few images uploaded in sub-cats - so you may need to follow exactly what I did in the first post adding about 2 sub-cats and then test uploading about 10 or more images into each one, preferably uploading them to the second sub-cat listed in the list mostly to see it happen. As it seemed to be that second sub-cat they was being dropped from and placed in 1st sub category instead

That is what I did. I currently have two sub-categories each with more than 10 images in them and regardless of whether I upload a new image on the media list page itself or via the editor, the image lands in the correct category.

May I ask how you actually set the category of the image in the first place? Did you use the editor of the relevant image or did you just filter the media list by a certain category and then upload a new image which will cause the image to be in the category you are currently filtering by.

• May I ask how you actually set the category of the image in the first place? Did you use the editor of the relevant image or did you just filter the media list by a certain category and then upload a new image which will cause the image to be in the category you are currently filtering by.

When you write an article there's an option to add both a Teaser and Article image (not using the editor). I would use that to upload both a Teaser and Article image with each article, but make sure I had the correct sub-category selected first as the place the two images was being uploaded too. I did that same thing with every article created to add two images for each one, never using the MEDIA area at all to upload any images. I noticed some of the teaser and article images that was uploaded via the CMS to the correct YEAR sub-category for 2018, was showing up instead in 2017 sub-cat when going into MEDIA page and filtering the images for what was in each sub-category only.

There might have been more than 10 images in each sub category before it started happening, as each article used 2 images each. So I would guess there was maybe around at least 20 images in each sub cat ( not sure now) before it seemed to start happening. Like I say, at first all seemed fine and working as expected until after a point when quite a lot of images was listed in each of the two sub-categories. So could be that 10 images in each one isn't enough to see it start happening. I think I had around 2 Pages worth of images listed as uploaded for each of the two sub-cats, so how many images get listed on Page 1 before a second Page is added showing more.

Upload two images using this creating an article:

Pick the category they was being uploading into first:

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (6. April 2018 um 10:34)

• And the way I would search images in MEDIA. Select the sub-category before and then search each one to see what was listed in them.

But I also noticed from this MEDIA page. If spotting an image for 2018 sub-cat was listed in 2017 sub-cat. And I tried to edit the image and move it from 2017 to 2018 via the MEDIA page. That didn't work either in moving the image from one sub-cat to another. That being moving the image from the first sub-cat (2017) to the second one in the list (2018). The image would still show up as being in 2017 sub-cat only not moved

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (6. April 2018 um 10:43)

• Could it have anything (maybe) to do with the me selecting ND for both mysqli and pdo_mysql. As by default my php 7.2 does not have ND selected for both of them, but I changed it for both to use ND versions instead because of you saying before that ND should be used instead for at least the pdo_mysql.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (6. April 2018 um 10:59)

• Could it have anything (maybe) to do with the me selecting ND for both mysql and pdo_mysql. As by default my php 7.2 does not have ND selected for both of them, but I changed it for both to use ND versions instead because of you saying before that ND should be used instead for at least the pdo_mysql.

Yes, you should contact your host before starting new threads in the support forums here. You will get to the root of the problem quicker.

• Paul, stop posting in the topic. It makes no difference to me because I use one category for them all now. But I'm trying to help out to see if maybe there is an issue going on though using sub-cats which is why I'm giving information back about it all. But using one category instead works just fine for me now. In fact, it's better now than how I was doing it before trying to put images for 2018 and 2017 articles into their own image sub-cats. ;)

• Gary, you’re creating problems where they don’t exist. No one else in the world is going to have this issue just like no one else will ever have your issue with guests being able to use quotes. WoltLab staff have more important things to deal with.

• Matthias Schmidt 19. April 2018 um 19:54

Hat das Label von Rückmeldung erforderlich auf Nicht reproduzierbar geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!