• A member here sent me a personal message and told me about xenForo. I know everyone here obviously chose WoltLab for a reason and perhaps that makes you all bias, but I really would like to know why you picked WoltLab over the competition. As I am currently comparing them both I would like to hear how they compare and why you picked this over that. :)

Love is love. * Liebe ist Liebe.

Meine Muttersprache ist Japanisch. Ich schreibe in Englisch, um ins Deutsche zu übersetzen. Bitte haben Sie Geduld mit mir. https://www.deepl.com/translator

• You got a personal message telling you about XenForo. Sounds a bit spammy that?

I'm well aware of both, I have used both of them. XenForo is nearly twice the price of WBB and it doesn't support using APPS as seperate installs like WBB does. That said, XenForo does have very good support on the forums and also has the best shoutbox (3rd party add-on) of any other paid forum software if you wanted a shoutbox to use. Both have their Pro's and Cons, all depends on what you want really. I wouldn't like the pick between the two myself as to which is the best one to go with.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (20. Februar 2018 um 17:37)

• I do not think WoltLab will be right for me. I feel there is a strong prejudiced here since I am not a German speaker. I tried to speak German as a courtesy and was basically told to shut up since my German was offensive to them. I tried to speak English and was ignored. I am Japanese and even the Chinese site I am posting on seems to be more friendly. Diskriminierst du Menschen, die Englisch sprechen?

Love is love. * Liebe ist Liebe.

Meine Muttersprache ist Japanisch. Ich schreibe in Englisch, um ins Deutsche zu übersetzen. Bitte haben Sie Geduld mit mir. https://www.deepl.com/translator

• I think for the end user, "the out of box" look for WoltLab is the best and this is the primary reason I chose it.

Some might say that the design is too simple or minimalist, but I have come to really love this aspect the most. I would say elegant and understated. Anyway, that''s enough of a advert for WoltLab, they can do their own marketing!

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• I have 5 Xenforo Licenses, two with the Media Gallery and Resource Manager addons, and 3 WoltLab Licenses.

There are pros and cons to both.

I have noticed on Xenforo that Addon developers are more likely to help you for money.

There are some nice people to help you there for free though...

I submitted a ticket to WoltLab for assistance on converting a news display script from Xenforo to WoltLab and the Developers helped me, they all seem to speak fluent English and there are a majority of WoltLab users that speak English. Not only that but I have posted multiple Help me threads and not all but most of them have been answered helpfully. I can show multiple threads on Xenforo that have received no answer and a few here that are the same.

I think that XF2 and WBB 5.1 look pretty close in comparision. They both offer excellent SEO, They are both works of art, BUT WoltLab is cheaper.

Xenforo does have a few extra style customization parameters that I think WoltLab should use as an example. Everything has and option to add a background or border too, and individual CSS inputs for everything you can modify on the style.\

But then again, eveyone here seems friendly. There are friendly people there too...but....to each their own. I have Xenforo Boards I probably will not convert over to WBB, and some WBB boards that I dont want as Xenforo.

WoltLab is 89.99 USD for a new license

Xenforo is 140.00 USD for a new license

Each addon for both is 50 dollars.

I would just try one. If you do not like it....convert to the other.

I do know that WoltLab is working on a Xenforo 2.0 + Media Gallery to WSC 3.1 converter, and that makes Going to Woltlab alot easier.

• One area I think WoltLab falls short compared to not just XenForo but just about all other forum scripts as well. I think this might be down to German Law over privacy though why they don't do it. I find it frustrating with WBB that they don't show an IP for a user after they first register (only show an IP for them after they posted) in their post (but still don't show one on their account. Not showing an IP when they first register on their account makes it very hard to check new registration IP's (before they post) to see if they might be blacklisted as spammers - the only thing you can check is their email, that doesn't help things a great deal

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (21. Februar 2018 um 00:44)

• I find it frustrating with WBB that they don't show an IP for a user after they first register (only show an IP for them after they posted) in their post (but still don't show one on their account

Well, using the Suite 3.1 there is the registration IP in each user profile.

What i like most is the plugin system, installing plugins directly from the ACP (just by searching for it) and updating it the same way is so fast an simple.

Never uploading hundreds of files and maybe forget one etc^^

Also the knowledge that every plugin here in the store was actually checked by a woltlab developer helps me with my security concerns.

• If it is your Admin Account created during Installation: That one single Account hast no Registration IP as it wasn't created regulary throu the Registration form, rather then as Part of the Installation.

Create a new Account an then check again with your Admin Account to see the IP.

• I had been using SMF which is free and whilst I never had any problems, when the server crashed (or was hacked), I decided that maybe it was time for a more bespoke solution.

Price was important and WSC turned out to be the most competitive, especially against Invision and Xenforo and this point pretty much clinched it for me. It didn't occur to me at first that much of the detail would be in German...plugin comments etc, but Google Translate helps.

The OP should should consider corresponding in English instead of German as some things do indeed get lost in translation. As for the software, it's very robust, highly customisable and very, very mobile friendly. Plugin support is good if you're persistent and the base is patched regularly.

On the other hand, I'm glad I made the choice, but am currently building a static business website using WordPress.org and what's impressed me most is seeing the changes on-the-fly so to speak, not to mention the massive variety of plugins. On the other hand, plugin support for WP is nowhere near as helpful as WSC.

All in all, I'm very happy with WoltLab and the only area that needs more attention is plugins. We need more of them, especially the ones we wish for.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!