Not All Browsers Are Created Equal - What has been your experience?

• Just wondering if anyone has experienced "playback problems" with certain Browsers with regard to Videos.

If so, what particular Browser did YOU find was best for Viewing (playing) Videos on your Forum?

I have several Music Videos (and other types of Videos) are my Dashboard and Side Bar. It is frustrating for me (and any Visitor or Member of my Forum)

if they cannot view the videos without "stalls", "jerking", and sometimes even outright failure to play a Video.

My experience has brought me to the conclusion that Microsoft Edge is the best for playing Videos - of the Browsers I have used.

Firefox appears to be the worse of the pack in regards to the above stated playback problems.

Would appreciate feed-back on this issue.

Thanks!:)

DJ

• Ever tried my MediaElement Plug-in?

OK. I read about your Plugin - and decided to download "Media Element".

Haven't had time to add it to my Forum but will do so soon.

I think there are one or two other Plugins from you that I have in my "watched files" of Plugins which I intend to get soon.

Thanks SoftCreatR for your reply and telling me about the Plugin!

• The Firefox browser is the worst for me as well. Well I'm using a 64bit browser that is call Waterfox, but that is based on Firefox. Most of the time, I'm playing YouTube videos, and at times the browser will freeze up for a bit before the YouTube video will play. I never had a problem using the Chrome browser for playing videos. I did use the Microsoft Edge browser a few times with no issues.

• I found Chrome to be the best, followed by Firefox and ending with Edge, which has serious hickups while playing Videos here.

Meine Beiträge stellen - sofern nicht ausdrücklich anders gekennzeichnet - ausschließlich meine subjektive und aus Erfahrung und / oder Reflexion gewonnene Meinung dar und sind nicht als Fakten zu verstehen. Meinungen sind persönliche Ansichten und benötigen keine Belege. In Deutschland gilt nach Artikel 5 des Grundgesetzes Meinungsfreiheit. Meine Beiträge stellen keine Rechtsberatung dar, hierzu bin ich nicht befugt.

• The Firefox browser is the worst for me as well. Well I'm using a 64bit browser that is call Waterfox, but that is based on Firefox. Most of the time, I'm playing YouTube videos, and at times the browser will freeze up for a bit before the YouTube video will play. I never had a problem using the Chrome browser for playing videos. I did use the Microsoft Edge browser a few times with no issues.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for replying.

ScoftCreatR - who has a media Plugin called Media Element - suggested I try the plugin.

But after uploading it, there was no difference. He wants me to go to the support forum for this Plugin; but after reading that area over regarding

the Plugin, I decided it was way too complicated; all those "directions" regarding the uploading of MediaElement is way beyond my expertise,

and ability.

I have found Microsoft Edge to be the best, but I should try Chrome too - since you and D3nnis3n (Post #7) - say it works fine.

Right now I have left a message on my website / forum where the Videos are located (Dashboard) recommending any Visitor or Member

having trouble watching the Videos should try another Browser. But most people on the internet (in my experience) when logging onto a

website expect everything to be running smoothly with that website or forum; and if it does not, they quickly go somewhere else.

I found Chrome to be the best, followed by Firefox and ending with Edge, which has serious hickups while playing Videos here.

Hello D3nnis3n!

Appreciate your reply! I am surprised you have had trouble / difficulty - i.e., "serious hickups" - with Microsoft Edge!

I will try Chrome soon.

Question: Have you by any chance tried MediaElement by "SoftCreatR"?

It didn't work for me after downloading the Plugin from "Plugins" on Woltlab; and all those instructions about how to upload the plugin -

on another website page specifically about the Plugin - was too complicated!

• I moved to Opera a few months ago as it's less resource hungry and I really like the most frequently used thumbnails on the home screen which you can add to infinitely and move around/rearrange at will. That aspect alone sells me on Opera and video performance is great.

Hi Splinter!

Thanks for letting me know about Opera.

I will ask you also: Are you acquainted with the Plugin by SoftCreatR called MediaElement?

(See my Post #8 - and my comments - for more info as to why I am asking this question).

It seemed like such a good Plugin - by the description on the Plugin Page via Woltlab Plugins Pages. But I could not get it to function for me.

And SoftCfreatR requires going to a "support page" for logging questions about support regarding this plugin - and that means joining up as a

Member in order to post in the support column; and that led to other problems.

I don't like all this "fooling around stuff" -

I think individual developers of Plugins should be willing to have a very simple way of communicating with their customers -

(Most developers do) !

• Hi Ruff.

I use mediaproviders

the_waiters
    30. August 2021 um 16:39

I'm not sure of the difference between that and MediaElement to be honest and it opens secure sites only for me (I'm now https) such as YouTube, Vimeo etc in a media window. There isn't any configuration because it's all done behind the scenes with the code from the plugin.

• I'm not sure of the difference between that and MediaElement

It has MediaElement as requirement.

I think individual developers of Plugins should be willing to have a very simple way of communicating with their customers -

Support for 3rd party extensions is not allowed in this forum and the comment section is definitely not the right place. So use the proper support forum or just leave it.

• Support for 3rd party extensions is not allowed in this forum and the comment section is definitely not the right place. So use the proper support forum or just leave it.

Unless I missed it, there is no direct link to "Support" on the page that shows (displays) your plugin (MediaElement).

The only links I saw were two links which were directly connected to information regarding the Plugin MediaElement.

I finally did manage to get to the website where there is a support forum.

However, it appeared to be the only way I could get in to support was to Register or Login.

So I tried logging in, clicked on "Accept", and then attempted to fill in the Registration Box. But one of the boxes there - I believe it was the 2nd down the list - asked for a name (forget the actual wording). But no matter what I put in the box, the registration process would not accept it.

So I never did get to register.

As for your statement above (the Quote) just for your information (and anyone else reading this)

there are Plugin Developers who answer a customer from the "Comments" section if there was posted a request for help;

and also Plugin Developers who show (display) a DIRECT LINK to SUPPORT, and they do NOT require a registration process in order to leave

a request for help on a Plugin purchased by the customer.

It would appear that you have made the "support process" needlessly complicated!

• Hi Ruff.

I use mediaproviders

the_waiters
    30. August 2021 um 16:39

I'm not sure of the difference between that and MediaElement to be honest and it opens secure sites only for me (I'm now https) such as YouTube, Vimeo etc in a media window. There isn't any configuration because it's all done behind the scenes with the code from the plugin.

Thanks for your reply Splinter ......... however, SoftCreatR's reply, to wit:

"It has MediaElement as requirement." 

leaves this option out - (at least for me).

• I had no idea that MediaProvider Collection was a prerequisite for Media Element or vice versa, since SoftCrear's answer is a little vague, to say the very least.

Having said that, 'Support for 3rd party extensions is not allowed in this forum and the comment section is definitely not the right place. So use the proper support forum or just leave it.' could well be a direct translation from German as it comes across as brusque and unhelpful in the extreme.

In fact, this is the one area that WoltLab falls down badly in - support for plugins. It's a real pain the rear end to continually sign up to each and every dev's webpage for support, when there should be a section for each plugin in this very forum.

I find the attitude of 'Take it or leave it' from many of the devs to be very unprofessional and suggest that WoltLab integrate support right here.

That's my two cents anyway.

• I had no idea that MediaProvider Collection was a prerequisite for Media Element or vice versa, since SoftCrear's answer is a little vague, to say the very least.

Having said that, 'Support for 3rd party extensions is not allowed in this forum and the comment section is definitely not the right place. So use the proper support forum or just leave it.' could well be a direct translation from German as it comes across as brusque and unhelpful in the extreme.

In fact, this is the one area that WoltLab falls down badly in - support for plugins. It's a real pain the rear end to continually sign up to each and every dev's webpage for support, when there should be a section for each plugin in this very forum.

I find the attitude of 'Take it or leave it' from many of the devs to be very unprofessional and suggest that WoltLab integrate support right here.

That's my two cents anyway.

Wow! Thanks for your' two cents' - good!

I fully agree with you what you said regarding: " ..... Woltlab falls down badly in - support for Plugins."

My position on that particular point has always been: WHY don't they support the Plugin Developers?

[And lest I create a fire storm on here, I had better not answer my own question regarding this matter .... but there is no law (not yet anyway)

that says I cannot think or form an opinion in my own mind regarding the "WHY" above.]

And let it be clear to everyone reading this Thread:

SoftCreatR came to me about the Plugin - see Post #2. Not the other way around!

His attitude really got me riled up .... but if I do say so myself, I think my reply to SoftCreatR was with restraint.

Well, after leaving this Thread, I am going to the ACP and DELETE that Plugin!

But to get back to the main reason I began this Thread:

I tried CHROME and OPERA earlier today to view the Videos on my website / forum -

primarily because of the above mentions (Posts) that these two Browsers work well for viewing Videos.

Sorry to say, for me they did NOT.

Although NOT performing as poorly as Firefox, Chrome and Opera still produced those tell-tale "stops and goes" in the playback of videos.

So ....... I am going to continue to use Microsoft Edge - and recommend to my Visitors and Members to my forum that they use the same.

Perhaps sometime in the future someone will come up with something that works for ALL Browsers equally - minus all the B.S.

• Hello DJ,

This is how my Waterfox browser lags when trying to play YouTube music videos. I don't know if there are any adjustments on my end to make it work any better or not. I really should get in touch with Waterfox and show them this lag, but been dealing with it. Once the videos start playing, it is fine.

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Hey Rich! Thanks for posting the above!

Well ............. I have decided to continue using Microsoft Edge for viewing VIDEOS - both on my forum and on other sites, including YouTube.

And the reason is, I have NO trouble with video playback when using Microsoft Edge.

As for D3nnis3n in Post #7, I don't understand why he has had trouble using Microsoft Edge; except maybe he does not have Windows 10 -

uses something else???

Microsoft Edge is designed specifically to work for Windows 10.

[I have Windows 10 on my computer.]

• As for D3nnis3n in Post #7, I don't understand why he has had trouble using Microsoft Edge; except maybe he does not have Windows 10 -

uses something else???

I'm using Windows 10 - since one of the first closed tests.

Meine Beiträge stellen - sofern nicht ausdrücklich anders gekennzeichnet - ausschließlich meine subjektive und aus Erfahrung und / oder Reflexion gewonnene Meinung dar und sind nicht als Fakten zu verstehen. Meinungen sind persönliche Ansichten und benötigen keine Belege. In Deutschland gilt nach Artikel 5 des Grundgesetzes Meinungsfreiheit. Meine Beiträge stellen keine Rechtsberatung dar, hierzu bin ich nicht befugt.

• I'm using Windows 10 - since one of the first closed tests.

Thanks for your reply, D3nnis3n!

Since your comments here, a thought occurred to me that there are quite a few variables involved with viewing Videos as to whether or not

they play properly - e.g., free from any stall-outs, jerking, delays, and slow loading times - even sound quality.

A few of these variables are:

***The computer the individual is using - e.g, type, model, make.

***Internet speed of the individual viewing the Videos, i.e., the ISP the individual is connected to / uses.

***ISP (Internet Service Provider) of the person viewing the Videos - and whether or not the individual has other devices connected

besides a computer.

***If viewing on an individual's website / forum, or at home - The individual's Hosting Provider (and whether or not the individual has

Dedicated or Shared Hosting).

And there probably are other variables that I cannot think of at the moment.

Any or all of these can produce an effect for one individual verses that of another individual viewing Videos.

So my continuing thought on this subject is:

In order to make a real and truly valid comparison, one has to take into consideration ALL of these variables - and the individuals responding would have to include all data as relates to the above stated "variables" - and as I said, those which I have not even mentioned or thought of.

And with what I said in the above paragraph, it would be interesting to take note of what YOUR answers / information would be with regard

to the "variables", especially since YOU have a problem with Microsoft Edge, and I do not.

Somewhere in there lies the definitive answer as to WHY we - as two individuals living in separate parts of the world - have observed different experiences in using Microsoft Edge in viewing VIDEOS!;)

What say you, D3nnis3n?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!