URL Re-Write Activated causes Gallery Drop Down List to lead to: "Page Not Found"

• Affected Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.0

Today I finally contacted my Hosting Provider to Upload the CODE for the URL Re-Write to the .htaccess file.

I gave them the Woltlab URL which goes to the page displaying the URL Re-Write Code (Code for Apache System) .

They just contacted me and saying that the Code has been uploaded to the .htaccess file.

Then I logged onto my forum to activate the URL Re-Write, e.g. >ACP >Configuration >General; and clicked on the "enable url-rewrite".

Then I went to the main forum page (which is also my landing page) and clicked on everything in the top task bar to make sure everything was working properly.

It was then that I discovered GALLERY no longer works when the URL Re-Write is engaged; with the EXCEPTION that clicking just on the word "Gallery" -

and NOT any of the options in the drop down menu of "Gallery" ; When that word is clicked on, Gallery still functions properly.

This condition - as described above - acts the same whether I am logged into my forum as Admin; NOT logged in to my forum; OR if a Forum Member logs on.

If the URL Re-Write button (in the ACP) is checked "NO", everything functions as it always has.

If turned back on, and if an option in the Gallery Drop Down List is clicked on, it brings me to the page that states 'page not found'.

I presently have the URL re-write option set to "no".

The drop down Gallery options are: Albums; My Albums; Images

[Cannot show this in a screen shot because my screenshot capability does allow a screen shot of drop down menu items.]

See attachments.

Hey Devil - Get behind me and don't push, shove, or kick! ^^

My Forum: https://totally-blazon.com

Edited once, last by Ruff Seas: Added information (December 27, 2017 at 11:03 PM).

• Re: Gallery not functioning correctly after URL Re-Write set up.

I contacted my Hosting Provider, and this is there response:

Support Ticket #26813 has been updated

Description:

I have pasted the code we added, as you requested earlier.

Please contact the script maker to ask them what needs to be changed and we will make the appropriate changes to the code.

Vik
    247-Host Support Team

In other words, they uploaded the Code as provided by Woltlab.

So something is apparently wrong somewhere.

Can you show me a screenshot of all your installed apps?

I do not understand why my "installed apps" would have any bearing on this issue - unless one of the apps OR plugins is in conflict

with the the URL Re-Write Code.

However, if that were the case, would it not affect EVERY part of the URL-Re-write?

I have only noticed "Gallery" being affected.

But I do not have File Base; Blog; Calendar on my forum - so I would not know if these are affected or not.

Edited once, last by Ruff Seas: Added material (December 28, 2017 at 12:24 AM).

• Try this:

• Try this:

Thank you for your reply.

I have a question:

I notice in the Code you gave above, that "gallery" is all that is listed; yet in the URL Re-Write Code supplied by Woltlab

there are references to: Blog - Calendar - File Base.

So later when I purchase the above 3 mentioned Apps (waiting on WSC Version 3.1 to be released) will these be affected

(e.g., produce the same problem as I have currently with "Gallery" on my forum)?

And the Code you gave, am I correct in assuming that this Code is to be uploaded to the .htaccess file?

• Mornin',

as you can see in your apps list, the Gallery app is installed at cms/gallery, which means that you need to adjust your rewrite rules to that path. Look at WoltLab's example and look at the code I provided and you will see what I mean.

If you later decide to install another app to the system, you need to add that path to your rewrite rules to get full functionality. WoltLab has added all their apps to the example in order to get it working in a standard environment, but you decided to change the path of the Gallery, so customisation is needed.

Please replace my provided rewrite rules with yours.

• Mornin',

as you can see in your apps list, the Gallery app is installed at cms/gallery, which means that you need to adjust your rewrite rules to that path. Look at WoltLab's example and look at the code I provided and you will see what I mean.

If you later decide to install another app to the system, you need to add that path to your rewrite rules to get full functionality. WoltLab has added all their apps to the example in order to get it working in a standard environment, but you decided to change the path of the Gallery, so customisation is needed.

Please replace my provided rewrite rules with yours.

So I took the Code you supplied and my Hosting Provider replaced it with the previous Code they uploaded for me (I did not attempt to do

this on my own as I know almost nothing about going into cPanel and making changes to the .htaccess file).

So then I checked "Gallery" after this uploading of Code you provided; and Gallery now functions correctly when the "Enable url-rewrite"

is set to "Yes".

Now you ask me to: " 'Please replace my provided rewrite rules with yours.' "

Two questions:

How am I supposed to "replace" the Code with mine? Especial;y since I don't have a clue as to HOW I would write my own Code.

And by asking me to replace YOUR code with MY code, in my mind I am thinking: Why is that necessary?

Excuse me "everyone" (are Woltlab Developers reading this?) for being blunt here, but if these procedures

are necessary for the purpose of "Enabling the URL Re-Write Option" in the ACP,

then in my opinion it is NOT worth the difficulty and work involved in doing so.

Furthermore, I bet I am NOT the only individual who has purchased Woltlab Forum Software who does not know

how to properly and safely make changes to the .htaccess file without messing things up, NOR how to create

"their own code" for the purpose of enabling the URL Re-Write option in the ACP!

And since I had my Hosting Provider upload the original Code (as provided by Woltlab), then replace it with

"your code", now I have to contact them yet again and tell them their work in replacing the code was all for

nothing because now I have to "replace the code" with my code???

They did not even have to make any of these code changes for me to begin with - it is NOT their "duty" OR

obligation to do so - it was strictly done as a favor to me, a customer of the Hosting Plan I have with them.

Well, I am NOT going to tell them the above, because that would be like slapping them in the face!

I wish I had never opened this can of worms!

DJ

P.S. I will disengage the URL Re-Write Option in the ACP (setting it to "NO").

Hopefully that will take the place of "replacing your code" with "my code".

UPDATE: 28 Dec 2017 - See following Post

Edited 2 times, last by Ruff Seas: Added "update" to Post (December 29, 2017 at 12:11 AM).

• UPDATE TO POST #11

Without me stating the "correspondence" here in this thread, I asked my hosting provider to give me a "step-by-step"

Guide to locating, opening, and editing the .htaccess file in cPanel. They did so; and I was able to access that area

whereby I can make changes or edit the .htaccess file.

TO jacboy:

Re: "Please replace my provided rewrite rules with yours."

I will log onto cPanel soon and DELETE 'your rewrite rules' you provided. [DONE]

TO Woltlab Developers:

You can mark this Thread as "resolved" whenever you wish as I will not be pursuing any further the issue of the

URL-Re-Write Option in the ACP.

Edited once, last by Ruff Seas: added: "DONE" (December 29, 2017 at 12:27 AM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!