Prevent Admin lockout

• Your suggestion is a good one; but I still believe there could be the "back up" Email - of which I mentioned above.

Are Woltlab Designers reading this ???

It's a good suggestion, I agree.

I will create the super user group as sonnespeer has suggested, but for new admin's setting up a group, that will be the last thing on their mind, especially without a manual to guide them...

There needs to be a backup option, like your suggestion.

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• I know throwholics, but as I said this happened just after I installed the software, literally minutes after. There must be a way to prevent a lockout. It was critical time for me and I needed access. It is my site and I should not be locked out if, ever, for any reason.

• I know throwholics, but as I said this happened just after I installed the software, literally minutes after. There must be a way to prevent a lockout. It was critical time for me and I needed access. It is my site and I should not be locked out if, ever, for any reason.

Be smarter? Nothing can be done to prevent or fix the error between the user and keyboard.

• There isn't really a good way to prevent being locked out.

It is my site and I should not be locked out if, ever, for any reason.

Yeah ... and how does the software know it's you? The software recognizes you as an administrator after you have successfully logged in. But entering your username could be anybody. That's the thing. The software would need to know that you are logging in before you are even logged in. Do you see where the problem lies?

98% aller PC Probleme sitzen direkt davor.

• Offizieller Beitrag

but as I said this happened just after I installed the software, literally minutes after

That sounds really weird and somehow doesn't really add up, to be precise, this shouldn't ever happen. I'm curious, what exactly do you mean that you were locked out? Do you remember any sort of error message, in particular the exact message contents?

I mean, yes there is a safe-guard against repeated login attempts, but it doesn't kick in that fast in general. Feels a bit that everyone jumped in on the initial assumption made by someone earlier in this thread, but I'm not convinced and fear that the discussion is more based on "what it could be" instead of the actual issue.

Alexander Ebert
    Senior Developer WoltLab® GmbH

• That sounds really weird and somehow doesn't really add up, to be precise, this shouldn't ever happen. I'm curious, what exactly do you mean that you were locked out? Do you remember any sort of error message, in particular the exact message contents?

I just found my notes on this actually, it was a password problem after all. It was literally right after I installed the software and I couldn't log in. I also tried the old password from my vbulletin forum too, but that didn't work either and eventually got this message:

All of my members had the same problem as all of their old passwords didn't work. But, for me it was different, as I had created a new user account to install the software, but like all the rest of my members, there was no password reset function available. It's there now, but it wasn't then.

• Otherwise it's completely your fault, because you got too many wrong passwords

But I did not. I put in the correct password which was set only minutes before and I was locked out in any case. As I said, I even used the old password from vbulletin, that didn't work either. The error was not of my making.

Everyone maybe glib about this and say I just typed in the wrong password or forgot it. I did not.

Do you use CloudFlare or another proxy?

My host provider uses Cloudfare.

• Did the host provider configure your webserver for it?

No idea, should I ask them. What do you reckon I should say. thanks.

• Marcel Werk 2. März 2020 um 16:46

Hat das Label Umgesetzt hinzugefügt.
  • Marcel Werk 2. März 2020 um 16:46

Hat das Label 5.2.x hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!