- WoltLab Suite Core
At the time of writing there are several addons that enhance the search engine experience by adding custom metatags to the forums and noindex control, but these are all separate addons and it would be nice to see more user control if it comes to the metatags.
Like i said before, you have the ones that are automatically generated based on the forum description and the article teaser, which is nice, but i'm pretty sure that the more advanced users like to control those tags themselves without generating them.
Here is what i find missing:
- Meta description and tags for articles like you have for pages(so the creator can enter them).
- Metadescription and tags for forums themselves.
- Page Title field(for forums and articles!)(this way you can make more use of spreading your keywords that are important over three different places, which in term allows for more freemdom)
- Prevents search engines from indexing this page.
- Prevents search engines from following links on this page.
- Prevents cached copies of this page from appearing in search results.
I know some people will see the the page title field as overkill, but it allows for so much more freedom... Lets take a look at an real life example about a news item about a music festival:
Page title:GMM 2016: Metallica, Deep Puple, Black Sabbath
<article body text>
Meta Description: These are the news names for Graspop Metal Meeting 2016: Sabaton, Epica, Avantasia, Nightwish,<other names till 255 chars has been reached)
Meta-tags: <Empty> Since tags don't have any relevant meaning, i let those ones empty.
This allows the editor to but the most popular names in the page title(most important place) and the lesser names in the description field. Off course this allows for spamming search engines, but that's up to the author/admin to decide.
The fields in bold are the most important to me, but I'm pretty sure its the same for other users.
So what do i suggest exactly:
Meta description and page-title control for articles
Meta description and page-title control for forums
So why not use an add-on for those things?
Well, the functionality is already partially in the core and it would be pity if it would not be used in the other parts of the (forum) core..
I hope i made it somewhat clear by adding examples and let the discussions start