How do I merge two existing WBB forums into one?

• It looks like I will be buying an existing forum that is using WBB 4.1 soon and I want to merge it with my existing WBB 4.1 forum. The person selling the forum will be keeping his WBB license, I'm just buying the content and user accounts. I have never merged forums before and I'm hoping someone can tell me how to do this?

• If you already have installed the importer you can simply use it even if there is already content in your board.
    It won't delete your current content and just add the new ;)

• I believe you can just install dummy forum that you're going to do importing from in sub directory off main domain like;
    domain.com - main domain
    domain.com/dummy/ - dummy forum to import

Then in acp enter importer info for connecting too for database: AC> Maintenance > Data Import > pick version of wbb >
    enter hostname
    database info
    file path for attachments
    etc.

Suck life out dummy forum, then bag it up and dump in river .. done lol

• Did you install the importers during board installation at first, they should be listed in Admin CP. But you have the option to not install them when first installing WBB.

Have you bought a big forum?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (29. Februar 2016 um 23:30)

• You get option when first installing wbb to include importer, but if you didn't you should be able to download later from your woltlab account downloads section and just download the right importer version from there and install it.

• I haven't installed the importer yet. Another concern is both forums share some of the same members and they may have used the same passwords and email addresses on both forums, will this cause any issues when everything is being imported?

Have you bought a big forum?

No, it's about the same size as Admin-Hub.

• I haven't installed the importer yet. Another concern is both forums share some of the same members and they may have used the same passwords and email addresses on both forums, will this cause any issues when everything is being imported?

Shouldn't be issue as you can merge users with same users and emails etc

• Offizieller Beitrag

Another concern is both forums share some of the same members and they may have used the same passwords and email addresses on both forums, will this cause any issues when everything is being imported?

You can select how duplicate users are being merged (e.g. only if username and email address match) which then causes only the content to be assigned. In this case the password will remain the same as the one used in the target forum, not the password from the source.

• Shouldn't be issue as you can merge users with same users and emails etc

You can select how duplicate users are being merged (e.g. only if username and email address match) which then causes only the content to be assigned. In this case the password will remain the same as the one used in the target forum, not the password from the source.

That's a big relief. Thanks @Smooey for the screen shot, it's very helpful.

• I went ahead and bought the forum from @Allan (Adminition.com was his forum). This morning I have been trying to do the import on a forum where I am using one of my WBB licenses as kind of a live test site. If I'm successful on my live test site then I will try it on my admin forum. So far I have:

Created a new database for a fresh WBB installation.

Created a dummy folder in my root directory.

Successfully installed WBB in the dummy folder.

Then I went to phpmyadmin and with the new databse I dropped the tables and imported the admini_wcf.sql file which gives me an error in phpMyAdmin and on the newly installed forum. I tried importing the admini_wcf.sql file without dropping the tables and nothing from Adminition is imported to the new forum, even after going to Maintenance in my ACP and rebuilding all of the data and clearing the cache.

What am I doing wrong?

This is the error that I'm getting in phpMyAdmin without dropping any tables:

• What i do in localhost/xampp is just put all the files from the one i backed up / moving into its own folder ahead of time. Keep same structure as if Allan himself installed and had his forum running on your server the whole time in that dummy folder.

Then go into phpmyadmin creating new database named whatever you want it, with user and password for database of course. utf8_unicode_ci or whatever it is. Make note of user, pass, database name or write it in txt file on hard drive. Then import Allan's database into that newly created database.

Then go to /public_html/wcf/ config.inc.php file and change user, pass, database details to newly created one's details. in database in phpmyadmin for dummy site, change path to dummy path, keeping domain name itself. Rebuild data etc. Should work? You could install missing plugins, but it's probably pointless as you're just importing default wbb related stuff.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (5. März 2016 um 16:38)

• @PJK: You need a full backup of the Forum you want to import, including all files...
    Else the installation will not work as files and database changes done by plugins will missing.

• Then go to /public_html/wcf/ config.inc.php file and change user, pass, database details to newly created one's details. in database in phpmyadmin for dummy site, change path to dummy path, keeping domain name itself. Rebuild data etc. Should work? You could install missing plugins, but it's probably pointless as you're just importing default wbb related stuff.

I've done everything except change the path, where am I able to do that?

If I go to https://mytestforum.com/dummy/ the URL in my browser changes to https://adminition.com/dummy/ and I get a 404 error:

Zitat

404 Not Found

The server can not find the requested page:

adminition.com/dummy/ (port 443)

Please forward this error screen to adminition.com's WebMaster.

• open your ACP directly https://mytestforum.com/dummy/acp and go to system / packages / applications to change the domain.
    (sry if the exact names are a little different but i don't have a english version for the correct names of the menuepoints...)

• open your ACP directly https://mytestforum.com/dummy/acp and go to system / packages / applications to change the domain.
    (sry if the exact names are a little different but i don't have a english version for the correct names of the menuepoints...)

I'm able to get to the ACP but I'm not able to log in without Allan's password (I will be able to get it from him later). Can the path be changed in phpMyAdmin > wcf1_application ?

There is no CSS for the ACP, is this anything that I should be more than a little concerned over?

• changed in phpMyAdmin > wcf1_application ?

yes that's what i do. search database for anything regarding his domain > new domain / location / path etc. main ones are in application database table. i'm sure you can even change admin password in database, but not sure the correct steps for it at moment. @Alexander Ebert

domain path / cookie path .. probably just need domain path though, but i do both

I also usually clear out public_html/wcf/cache folder leaving .htaccess there, and clear browser cache, and flushdns in windows 7.. cmd prompt "ipconfig /flushdns", rebuild data etc..

all you're really doing though and need to do is get the site up in dummy forum area, to import from it. other then that, don't really need to access it's acp i don't think. cause once you import stuff from it to new location, you're scraping it right? not going to run the site itself separately from yours...

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (5. März 2016 um 18:58)

• I'm able to access the front end of https://mytestforum.com/dummy/ now. The CSS is messed up there too, is it just a permission causing this? Which permission would I change if that's the case?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!