Support WYSIWYG Editor for Addons in ACP

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but it's my understanding that WCF doesn't support the implementation of a WYSIWYG editor in ACP, and addons are forced to provide a basic editor (usually having just text or the ability to insert code and bbcode). If that were true, it would hinder developers' ability to provide more flexible and powerful plugins that could be easier to use, since not all forum owners know their way around HTML or PHP.

As I said, maybe this is not how things are, and I am completely off the mark. In that case, I'd be grateful if anyone who would clarify this for me, because through the years, I have stumbled across a wide number of addons (I am not talking about those full applications that include their own editor) that cannot or maybe don't want by design use a full editor in ACP.

If that's something that WCF is currently lacking, please consider implementing it, as it would make things a bit easier for everybody ;)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (1. August 2015 um 07:02)

• Well, not speaking German I wouldn't have known. Besides, I wouldn't want to hijack a thread in German language with my English, which is why I'd like to encourage some discussion on the topic in English (for the non-German speakers interested in this topic) in order to see if this is something that can and will be implemented or not.

On that thread you linked, it appears you suggested that only applications, such as CodeQuake's CMS or others, could provide support for WYSIWYG editor in ACP, while "mere" addons cannot. Is that what you were saying here?

• That was just a hint for German speaking users. ;)

No, the suggestion itself wants to implement this feature directly into the WCF, so everyone can easily access the Redactor in ACP-Templates.
    But at the moment there is only the plugin I linked in the linked thread, which can be installed and used by every plugin and application - so for example i could require the package in my "global annaouncement" plugin and provide an input field with the Redactor instead of plain text for users who are new to the topic HTML-coding.
    The Fireball CMS was just an example how to use it.

• That was just a hint for German speaking users ;)

Ah ok, thanks for pointing that out :)

So, you confirm that WCF doesn't support WYSIWYG editor in ACP, and a way to circumvent this limitation is if developers would include codeQuake's WYSIWYG-ACP editor package within their own add-ons? Or could those files be zipped in a tar.gz package and installed directly in the ACP through the regular installer? So, addons using an editor could have the ability to "upgrade" to WYSIWYG?

• Thus I just marked this topic as a duplicate. Feel free to discuss this suggestion further, though. It is just for our book keeping

I can understand that from a Moderator/Admin point of view. However, since discussing the same topic in two different languages places a barrier between them, in fact making them virtually "different," makes me think if it's time to create another Label category for such misleading cases? Instead of Duplicate, they could be tagged as Bilingual or whatever terms you think it would fit better. When tagged as Duplicate, threads tend to be dismissed quickly or get ignored altogether.

• Yeah, unfortunately while many Germans can read English with it being a universal language. Most Brits can't read German because they've never had a need to learn it.

• Yes, it's a "full" WCF-Plugin when you tar it, so it could be updated without changing the plugins that are using it.

Sadly, while this solution works with some plugins, it doesn't for others. I believe it's time for WCF to support a WYSIWYG editor in ACP.

Yeah, unfortunately while many Germans can read English with it being a universal language. Most Brits can't read German because they've never had a need to learn it.

Yes. And posting something in English shouldn't be the reason to label as Duplicate a thread that discusses a topic for the first time in a language that's not German (only because German speakers can read it).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!