Likes im Pluginstore sind durcheinander

• Verstehe ich das jetzt richtig: Eine Benutzerauswahl?

Einerseits rennst Du mit so etwas bei mir ja immer offene Türen ein, aber andererseits muss ich fairerweise einräumen, dass Benutzer X aus meinem Beispiel diese Funktion möglicherweise übersehen oder falsch verstehen würde. Es braucht unter diesem Aspekt also zunächst eine sinnvolle Vorkonfiguration durch den Administrator.

Gruß norse

Zugang zu meinen Arbeiten und dem dazugehörigen Support bekommt Ihr bei Interesse hier und hier.

• Bisher habe ich mir immer über mein Profil meine Dateien anzeigen lassen um hin und wieder mal die Statistiken zu checken.

Jetzt wird mir in dieser Auflistung bei Downloads überall 0 angezeigt. Hat das auch was mit dem Zeitraum zu tun?

• Genau das ist doch das Problem, das zu den genannten Irritationen führt. Wir sollten vielleicht die hier angesprochenen Möglichkeiten der Änderung mal im Vorschlagsbereich zur Diskussion stellen.

Gruß norse

Zugang zu meinen Arbeiten und dem dazugehörigen Support bekommt Ihr bei Interesse hier und hier.

• In den Auflistungen wird nur die Statistik (Anzahl Kommentare, Downloads, Bewertungen usw.) der letzten 90 Tage aufgelistet. Auf der Detailseite sind dann die absoluten Werte zu sehen, schließlich soll man sich dort alle Bewertungen / Kommentare auflisten lassen können. Siehe auch: Detailverbesserungen

Well that is really inaccurate and makes no sense. Why on God's Green Earth would you do that? :rolleyes: It is misleading and it makes even some of your resources look as though they've been rated poorly.

The first list includes only the last 3 months of history.

Further this would be VERY easy to abuse, because a troll could just dislike your resources and for 3 months your hard work would look very poorly.

• Further this would be VERY easy to abuse, because a troll could just dislike your resources and for 3 months your hard work would look very poorly.

Yeah, but on the other hand it does allow new things to catch up and be shown, too.
    There is a reason why reddit et. al. go through great lengths to sort out what is "most liked" and what is not, beyond a simple "x got the most upvotes".

If you only ever display absolute stats, then a new,truly good plugin would not be in the "most liked" list for months until it has gathered enough upvotes. Which it might never get because it doesn't get as much visibility as the plugins already in there.

besides, manipulation can also happen with lifetime stats. That is hardly an argument for anything.

But I do agree that currently it is confusing, and should be made more clear to the user.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• If you have to explain it... It's already to complicated.

There is a reason why reddit et. al. go through great lengths to sort out what is "most liked" and what is not, beyond a simple "x got the most upvotes".

Look, we're talking software... You cannot and should not attempt to change the mentality of people. People since the dawn of downloadable software with ratings, associate those rating with their time... ie... Is it worth their time even looking into.

I get what you're trying to do, but it's not going to actually play out like that in the real world, because the mental mentality of humanity and every software site (download.com, cnet.com, ect...) follows that basic understanding.

But I do agree that currently it is confusing, and should be made more clear to the user.

This. Understatement of the century

You need a new column or something that clearly states X many rating in X time AND Y many rating grand total.

Again.... If you have to explain it... It's already to complicated.

• I get what you're trying to do, but it's not going to actually play out like that in the real world, because the mental mentality of humanity and every software site (download.com, cnet.com, ect...) follows that basic understanding.

Lets' take a look at twitters trending topics. These are bounded in tight time intervals. Otherwise we'd likely still see #WM2014 as "trending" in there, because that was a really popular hashtag at the time, so popular that it would likely dominate those trending topics if it was not bound by time at some point.

The same holds true here. If you want to display items that are popular right now, you need to create time intervals as bounds.

Still, I'd rather have a separate "All time top" list and a "trending" list, since both convey important, albeit different information. And it has to be clearly marked what is displayed. I agree with you that all time tops is an interesting statistic that should still be included, and that the admin should be able to choose which one is displayed as default, but having both isn't bad at all. The both have different uses, different strengths and weaknesses.

Look at Steam for example. You can argue that Steam is a BIG vendor of software. It might have a focus on games, but you also get other software there. On the steam landing page, the default list is "Popular New Releases", which is time bound (don't know exactly how long a game counts as 'new', though). When you click on a category, e.g. "Action", the default list is always "New releases". So yeah, depending on what you are doing with your site and what you want to focus on, it makes sense to shift your focus on trending things instead of your all-time highs which might be years old and while 'classics', a bit dated.

In terms of the Plugin_Store, having 'new' things displayed prominently makes it easier for new developers to get visibility, which is a good thing, because it lowers the entry barrier for them. Still, the all-time top list should not be gone comletely but still accessible. It also an important thing to be able to browse the things that were most popular over all.

I doN#t say the current solution is good. It borderline horrible. but the idea behind it is good, and instead of getting scrapped, it should get worked on to provide a rich and meaningfull user experience.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• Error...

Lets' take a look at twitters trending topics.

Lets not, because you're connecting apples with oranges still.

Pick a software download site (filehippo, cnet, download.com, ect..) for example and you will not find anything to defend your argument. Because your argument is illogical to the mentality associated software distribution.

You want to fight people's mentality and intuition. Which can be nobal at times, but to do so you must easily associate or connect with them in another way that does not require explaining and is equality intuitive (if not more so). This change does not apply that requirement.

If you have to explain it... It's already to complicated.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Aslan (4. Juli 2015 um 02:35)

• Because your argument is illogical to the mentality associated software distribution.

Yeah, because Steam, which I also used, totally doesn't distribute software. Please read my full post.

No argument there, I think we both can agree on that. As I've said, the current solution is neither preactical nor complete in my eyes. Again, please read my full post.

Because your argument is illogical to the mentality associated software distribution.

I'd prefer it if you didn't takeyour mentatlity as the holy grail and everything else as wrong. As I've said before (again, please read my full post) there is a good use case for absolute / lifetime statistic and they are good, and should not be scrapped completely. Yet I brought an example of a big softawre vendor who doesn#t focus on liftemine stats, but on currently trending items, and you simply dismissed that argument by referring to other software vendor who don't. So instead of acknowleding that different use cases and different preferences might require a different focus and that you can guide the focus of users by choosing such simple things, you automatically dismiss every other point of view because it doesn#t align with yours. Thats simply a bad way to discuss.

Both ways of displaying have their strengths and weaknesses, both can be uased for different purposes, and neither is better or worse then the other. And yes, I don't like the current way it's done, because as you already said, currently it's just confusing, and that is a no-go. Things should explain themselves and feel natural. This can be as little as changing the title from "Top rated" to "Currently liked" or "Popular new files" so that it is clear at what you are looking. Preferably with an option to still access the all-time top list, and with the ability to let the administrator decide which of them is available at all, which of them is default and the time frame in which the list for currently hot items works.

tl;dr: There is infinitely more colors in the world then black and white. Things aren't simply "right" or "wrong".

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Netzwerg (4. Juli 2015 um 12:49)

• I'd prefer it if you didn't take your mentatlity as the holy grail and everything else as wrong.

It's not my mentality... It's humanities. There is a reason why the top download sites do not do it this way. That is not to say others have not tried, but they all have 1 thing in common... They no longer exist.

Please read my full post.

No, because again... If you have to explain it... It's already to complicated.

You're not going to be able to make a large explaination with your site and its appearance. You have a visual appearance that people are going to see right away and decide and assume in 10 seconds. What are they going to see and understand visually?

• This thread is getting out of control. Please calm down a bit. If you two want to argue about something, you could also do that in a private conversation.

Let's focus back on the main-topic of this thread: The likes of the plugin store are still very irritating and, more important, misleading because some products are casted into a negative light (when they only had dislikes in the last x days). And also, most of the plugins have 0 downloads.

As a possible customer I would think "oh...the WBB/WCF looks good but the community doesn't seem very active when it comes to the plugins...0 downloads everywhere, meh, let's look for another software".

This is exaggerated, but people are weird so everything is possible.

There is infinitely more colors

Well, 16.7 million to be exactly :P

• This thread is getting out of control. Please calm down a bit. If you two want to argue about something, you could also do that in a private conversation.

Let's focus back on the main-topic of this thread: The likes of the plugin store are still very irritating and, more important, misleading because some products are casted into a negative light (when they only had dislikes in the last x days). And also, most of the plugins have 0 downloads.

As a possible customer I would think "oh...the WBB/WCF looks good but the community doesn't seem very active when it comes to the plugins...0 downloads everywhere, meh, let's look for another software".

This is exaggerated, but people are weird so everything is possible.

Well, 16.7 million to be exactly :P

^ This. Exactly my point. :thumbup:

People are going to look and see the visual layout and automatically make assumptions on what they see. It is human nature.

• Hab das nun auch gemerkt und das hat mich auf den ersten Blick ziemlich irritiert. Vorallem wenn man Übersichten anschaut und herausfinden will, welche Plugins auf den ersten Blick gut sind.

• Ich möchte mal aus der sciht eines nicht Profis, nicht Plugin oder Stile Ersteller, sondern aus Sicht des Dummi User sagen wie ich das sehe.
    Es ist verwirrend, auch wenn ich schon einige Jahre mit WBB zu tun habe. Da ich mich in Sachen Plugins nicht so auskenne habe ich mich sehr oft auch drauf geschaut wie viele Likes da sind. Nun sollen die also nicht wirklich stimmen? Das ist mir Dummi zu hoch, sorry. Warum kann man das nicht so einstellen das die Likes oder Dislikes immer gezählt werden und nicht nach gewisser Zeit rausfliegen und bei Null anfangen? Was ist daran so schlimm oder schwer oder nicht machbar?

Sorry wenn ich so blöd frage aber ich verstehe es wirklich nicht und will damit auch keinen persönlich angreifen oder gar noch Beleidigen.

Lg Leandra

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!