New Editor: Redactor (Part 1)

• Why not both? I personally like the ability to start my post on my tablet and if the battery dies while I'm on the go, I can pick up where I left on my desktop.

That's the only valid argument ;)

ccleaner is a popular app people use on their desktop that does this by default.

I use it by myself and localstorage is NOT included as option, by default. You can just get it via WinApp2.

• That's the only valid argument

You're forgetting the mobile device argument. Which is a valid argument. There are other developments that have used Redactor and faced this possible.

I use it by myself and localstorage is NOT included as option, by default. You can just get it via WinApp2.

I forget what apps are common on Windows that do this, but I know there are a lot of them. I usu Ubuntu so while this will not directly affect me, it will my users.

• No. Every browser that supports HTML5 (and thats something, that every (or every "known") smartphone browser does) also supports localstorage (except for Opera Mini, which sucks anyways). See http://mobilehtml5.org/ (Web storage)

We can keep going on in circles about this, but I stand by my original statement... It is NOT a good idea to depend upon the mobile web browser to execute a script every 2 minutes; especially since the cellular providers have an established history of overriding default behaviour system wide -vs- the intended manufacture stock settings (ATT and Verizon are good examples of this).

• Well, let's summarize both sides, shall we?

Saving in the DB on the server:
    + Works in all Browsers
    + You can pick up your work on another device
    + You can't loose your work to dubious "cleaner" programs or stupid manufacturers
    - You are screwed when you loose your internet connection (which, on mobile devices, is a real problem)
    - If timed requests are made, the server is hammered with requests when many people write posts

Saving in localStorage:
    + Works in all modern browsers (except Opera Mini, which sucks anyway and doesn't see much usage)
    + You can increase the saving interval as much as you like without hammering the server
    + You can write your post & save it without internet connection and post it when you have established a connection again
    - You can loose some work upon browser crash (which isn't really a valid argument, since when your browser crashes with the other method you'll also loose up to the last 2 mins of work)
    - If you don't know that localStorage and cache are completely different things and have some cleaner tool clean it up, you can loose work. This argument is also kind of moot, since you can also loose work if you manually delete files from the file system or have a cleaner tool clean them up, but saving files on your file system isn't insecure per se. It just misuse of tools that leads to data loss.

So, both method have valid Pros and Cons. Saving in localStorage actually is quite clever, since you do not depend on a working internet connection and can write posts from wherever you want even without internet connection and then post them at a later date. On the other hand, having things saved locally means you can not pick it up on another device and it also means that you can loose the post if you clear the localStorage. But in the same way that you trust the web admin not to delete your stored posts on the server, the same way you should care about not deleting contents from your own device.

An important con against the timed requests is the use of webspaces. Many webspace providers do not allow regular requests and treat them like chats. This might not be an issue when you are on your own server, but WBB especially also target normal webspaces. And you don#t wanna hammer those with requests. That's why i think using a hybrid-approach that uses both localStorage and timed requests to save posts on the server is best left for a plugin.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• @Netzwerg my argument is to have both.

I have members who make REALLY lengthy replies and not your typical few lines (replies even longer and bigger than you just posted in reply). Especially bloggers which I hope to add Woltlab Blogs.

Some of these members use alternative browsers and security measures. And the mentality of the younger generation is it either works for them or it does not. This is where social media is gaining over forums... The mentality is social media adapts to the user and forums expects the user to adapt to the forum.

• Adam did you check out my link to the plugin for delayed posting. It's not exactly what you want "save drsft" but this would get you a work around if woltlab decides not to include it in wbb4.1

Once I saw the link to that site, I sort of ignored it... I wish people would stop referring me to that site anytime they claim there is an addon for X, Y, Z ... I've never seen an addon there. Unless it's hidden from guest view, all I ever see there is people talking about addons, but no actual files.

• Once I saw the link to that site, I sort of ignored it... I wish people would stop referring me to that site anytime they claim there is an addon for X, Y, Z ... I've never seen an addon there. Unless it's hidden from guest view, all I ever see there is people talking about addons, but no actual files.

When visiting https://tims.bastelstu.be/index.php/Products/, i can download everything. Even as guest.

However, the mentioned plugin isnt listed there. But you can get it here: https://packages.bastelstu.be/de.bisaboard.w…osts/2.0.0_rc_1

• When visiting https://tims.bastelstu.be/index.php/Products/, i can download everything. Even as guest.

However, the mentioned plugin isnt listed there. But you can get it here: https://packages.bastelstu.be/de.bisaboard.w…osts/2.0.0_rc_1

I knew you could get addons here
    https://tims.bastelstu.be/index.php/Products/

But in the case of the original post (and often the many referrals), people tend to refer that site and the actual download (as in this case) is else where. Love to know where you found that download link in the first place.

• And yes many refer to his site since everyone know he is producing great products.

I think my frustration comes from people referring to an empty void... That is to say, when someone post a link to something, I and others expect a direct link to X and not just the thread that talks about it, but exactly where it can be obtained.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!