Use of informal and formal variant of language in select fields

• Betroffene App
    WoltLab Suite Core

Hello,

I'm translating the software using the informal and formal variants in the same file, however the content of the language variable wcf.user.condition.avatar.avatar is shown litterally in the conditions of the Notices and Ads.

Diff
    -<item name="wcf.user.condition.avatar.avatar"><![CDATA[Your Avatar]]></item>
    +<item name="wcf.user.condition.avatar.avatar"><![CDATA[{if LANGUAGE_USE_INFORMAL_VARIANT}Tu{else}Su{/if} Avatar]]></item>

I have opted to translate the phrase from German (Eigener Avatar) to Spanish Avatar propio (Own Avatar) but I think this should be fixed.

Regards.

My styles and plugins in the Plugin-Store.

Spoiler anzeigen

— ¡Carajo! —gritó

Amaranta, que empezaba a meter la ropa en el baúl, creyó que la había picado un alacrán.

— ¿Dónde está? —preguntó alarmada.

—¿Qué?

— ¡El animal!

Úrsula se puso un dedo en el corazón.

— Aquí —dijo.

♪Quiero robarle los minutos a las horas pa' que mis padres nunca se me pongan viejos...♫

• "Your" isn't wrong, and "own" is funny sounding and improper grammar usage, hence it was made to "Your"... who else's avatar would it be/belong to... It's YOUR avatar... no one else's avatar... LOL! A lot of "Own This" and "Own That" was change to be more personal/possessive (Your This and Your That or Can edit their ...) it's less funny/odd sounding. What German's think is wrong isn't always wrong for English phrases. The others doing translations should just translate it into what sounds better in their own language or is more proper to use for it.

"Own Avatar" in any language is improper grammar usage.

"Your Own Avatar" is correct or just short, simple, to the point is "Your Avatar" which is also correct.

The whole point of me redoing all the phrases to make them shorter, to point, and more correct is so the English phrases weren't improper grammar or wrong.. because all other languages are translated FROM the English phrases. If English phrases aren't right, then all others translating from English to their native languages would also be wrong or improper (odd and funny sounding).

This was to help make the software and phrases more English friendly as well as other language speakers.

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (15. Oktober 2017 um 03:13)

• Besides the grammar (which I'm not an expert and English is not my native language), I think the real problem is that there are fields where the phrases are interpreted as literals. There was another one that unfortunately I can't remember but was in a infobox in the ACP. I'm not sure but I think if the phrase is inside an html tag is interpreted as literal.

My styles and plugins in the Plugin-Store.

Spoiler anzeigen

— ¡Carajo! —gritó

Amaranta, que empezaba a meter la ropa en el baúl, creyó que la había picado un alacrán.

— ¿Dónde está? —preguntó alarmada.

—¿Qué?

— ¡El animal!

Úrsula se puso un dedo en el corazón.

— Aquí —dijo.

♪Quiero robarle los minutos a las horas pa' que mis padres nunca se me pongan viejos...♫

• If you happen to remember which phrase it was, let me know. I actually jumped too quickly above there, because I didn't even see the language variable before posting the reply. I assumed it was a front-end phrase for user profile related things. Here it was the "conditions/state" in the ACP. Which Alexander Ebert replied to me over on github, suggesting maybe "Custom Avatar"... which does work better for that "Condition" ..versus "Your Avatar". So they changed it to "Custom Avatar", which makes more sense. Because the user still has to upload it as their own avatar = it's (your) custom avatar. Or, "condition/state" of everyone in the system that uses a custom/their own avatar. Cause obviously, not everyone on the forum will have a "Custom Avatar" /their own avatar... some might use bland default ones provided with software itself.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (16. Oktober 2017 um 11:13)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!