• Hey there,

Has anyone here been to Oktoberfest in Munich?

Two times.

Is it worth attending

Definetly yes, if you like what they do there. Of course, beer, Bretzels and bavarian culture.

Is it targeted mostly toward foreigners/tourist?

I would say it's targetted to anyone, they welcome everyone. Many cultures and nations meet there, even Obama said he will come back this year :D

• Definetly yes, if you like what they do there. Of course, beer, Bretzels and bavarian culture.

Who doesn't? ;) Thanks for replying Jacboy. We always fly with Lufthansa when we visit my wife's family and our connecting flights are always in Germany... I'm going to try and plan a long layover in Munich next time.

• Has anyone here been to Oktoberfest in Munich?

Every year. :D

Bretzels

you serious? "Bretzels"? It's called Brezn! Or pretzel in English…

Definetly yes, if you like what they do there. Of course, beer, Bretzels and bavarian culture.

I'd recommend to walk through the city and it's sights too - so not just drinking (special) beer all day. ;)

And have a look at this part: http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/article/Okt…iesn+2017/4978/

(the full plan, but in German: http://www.muenchen.de/media/wiesn/20…_2017-final.pdf)

• Who doesn't? ;) Thanks for replying Jacboy. We always fly with Lufthansa when we visit my wife's family and our connecting flights are always in Germany... I'm going to try and plan a long layover in Munich next time.

Yes, Oktoberfest is really great... and they have the biggest beer tents. That said there is also Canstatter Wasen in Stuttgart - The second largest festival :) - we here in Stuttgart have most of the rides (carousels, roller coasters (but smaller tents. (but they getting bigger every year :saint: And, off course, we also have mass pitchers - it's almost the same cultrue (Southern Germany - clothes, Music, etc) )

Have a look: (Homepage, Wikipedia),

If you come from America, there will be lots of people from US here, too (because Stuttgart had many baracks and many Americans still living here get a lot "visits from the States" during this time :) There is a week, where both parties take place - Munich - Stuttgart are only 2 hours (Railroad, Bus, Car, even planes (45 Minutes flying with Lufthansa :) ) ) apart, so there are many tourists who visit both.

But beware, it will be very difficult in both cities to find free Hotel rooms in this period.

I wish you much fun - whether in Munich, Stuttgart or both :)

Viele Grüsse aus Stuttgart, Kind Regards from Stuttgart
    TheSonic

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von TheSonic (28. August 2017 um 13:34)

• Thanks for the information gn5VmUKCtv6ekrMf and TheSonic , I think we will start planing now for a trip next year.

I recently found Weihenstephaner at a local store here in New York and it is an outstanding beer. I'm wondering though, is there a better German been that is widely available?

• I recently found Weihenstephaner at a local store here in New York and it is an outstanding beer. I'm wondering though, is there a better German been that is widely available?

To be honest, the best beers found local in Germany (Small, local breweries). This applies to Bavaria (Munich) and Baden-Württemberg (Stuttgart). Most exported beers come from big companies and are very commercial. (Weihenstephaner in Ne York, uh, that's good News... i plan a trip to N.Y. , good to know there are stores selling good beer, :) )

I saw a documentation on TV some weeks ago about the "CraftBeer"-Scene in the US and i am very interested in this. I am pretty sure, there are some great places/Pubs in NY selling great beers :)

For me, the best german beer is Stuttgarter Hofbräu :):love:<3:!::thumbup:

Viele Grüsse aus Stuttgart, Kind Regards from Stuttgart
    TheSonic

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!