How to stop contact form spam?

• Affected Version
    WoltLab Suite 5.4

The native google recaptcha on the contact form is not stopping bot spam messages. Is there another way to stop it? Thanks.

• Hi,

I am using hcaptcha instead of reCaptcha. My reason is privacy reasons as I do not want google to collect data from my users.

In general I am happy with it's performance however, I am not sure if it supports the contact form.

• I’m pretty sure it replaces the recaptcha everywhere so it should also work on the contact form

Then I would definitely recommend it over reCaptcha!

On one of my websites Guest posts are active and so far I have not had any issues with spamming...

• Then I would definitely recommend it over reCaptcha!

For what reason? Because

My reason is privacy reasons as I do not want google to collect data from my users.

is not really a valid reason. While Google is a somewhat known company, Intuition Machines, Inc. (located in the US, too) isn't. In fact, one solution is not more trustworthy than the other. However, if I had to choose, I would go for Google.

• For what reason? Because

is not really a valid reason. While Google is a somewhat known company, Intuition Machines, Inc. (located in the US, too) isn't. In fact, one solution is not more trustworthy than the other. However, if I had to choose, I would go for Google.

Because Google is Google!

I personally would never trust Google. Currently they have many cases in the official EU courts for not respecting the EU privacy laws.

By using their services we will feed this monster more and more and I personally would prefer not to share my users data with Google.

hCaptcha (unlike google) has a really positive reputation in the privacy community.

• At least as an operator within the EU, it almost doesn't matter which provider you choose, as both send data to the US, which is not easily allowed under GDPR. Incidentally, this is also the reason why we stopped offering our free hcaptcha extension ages ago.

But regardless of that, hcaptcha as an alternative protects as much or as little as recaptcha and is therefore rather not a suitable solution for the initially mentioned problem.

• For me it is a valid reason as for me privacy is a priority and as I mentioned the developers of hcaptcha are well-known in the privacy community.

One of the reasons that we have various services is because users with different opinions can use what fits their needs :)

At least as an operator within the EU, it almost doesn't matter which provider you choose, as both send data to the US, which is not easily allowed under GDPR. Incidentally, this is also the reason why we stopped offering our free hcaptcha extension ages ago.

But regardless of that, hcaptcha as an alternative protects as much or as little as recaptcha and is therefore rather not a suitable solution for the initially mentioned problem.

• No matter how well-known or unknown anyone is in any "privacy scene". As long as the law prohibits, or at least severely restricts, the intercontinental transfer of personal data, one should look for alternatives within the EU (which, as we know, includes Austria). One of these alternatives is Friendly Captcha.

Ultimately, everyone should do what they want. However, it would be a pity if you had to close your website because of such nonsense (which obviously doesn't bring much-added value either) because the authorities disagree with you ;)

• I am completely open to EU-made services as at least we have a little bit of red lines here.

Is there a plugin for Friendly-Captcha for Woltlab suite ?

Regarding Google, trust me the situation is far worse than what anyone can think... this is not a place to discus this so I won't go into the details :) ...

• You could just use the questions and answers feature instead of captchas. Having created some specific questions, it’s very hard for bots to solve them. And it’s 100 % privacy friendly as no data is collected whatsoever. :)

• You could just use the questions and answers feature instead of captchas. Having created some specific questions, it’s very hard for bots to solve them. And it’s 100 % privacy friendly as no data is collected whatsoever. :)

That is indeed one of the best solutions which takes a little bit of time and imagination and of course more annoying to the users.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!