Give me a reason to switch from IPB to WoltLab

• This isn't really a common 'Pre-Sale' question, but rather me gathering your thoughts on why I should switch to WoltLab (I realized that the chit-chat section was only available to customers after registration, I don't really have any other place to post this, so yeah). If they are convincing, I'll spend exactly € 224.97, and you'll gain a new customer :)

• Hello,

The better question is: What are you looking for? Are you lacking a crucial feature, are you not satisfied with how some things work?

I'm just dissatisfied with IPB's pricing, Woltlab's pricing is also a bit unfair for what they are offering but I personally think that the pricing here suits me just fine. I'm just exploring my options right now.

• Official Post

Oh, I see, in that case we can offer better pricing indeed. That was easy.

Joke aside, we offer a free demo that has all our apps already installed so you can take a look around and see for yourself what we have to offer. Just head over to https://www.woltlab.com/en/demo/ and in less than 15 minutes you will receive an email with the credentials. The demo is available for 14 days before it is automatically disposed, no strings attached.

• Oh, I see, in that case we can offer better pricing indeed. That was easy.

Joke aside, we offer a free demo that has all our apps already installed so you can take a look around and see for yourself what we have to offer. Just head over to https://www.woltlab.com/en/demo/ and in less than 15 minutes you will receive an email with the credentials. The demo is available for 14 days before it is automatically disposed, no strings attached.

It's great that someone has a good sense of humor. I'll make sure to check the demo out. But before I do, in your words, what do you think makes Woltlab unique from your competition?

• Official Post

Frankly, I don't think that uniqueness really adds much value. For example, having the background color constantly flash between red and green certainly is unique, but that does not really make it a better product.

I could argue that the software is built on top of a very powerful architecture with its versatile package system that is beyond what other competitors in the same segment have to offer. Even this forum is just an app that runs on top of our framework (called "WoltLab Suite Core") which was first released in 2007, so we do have plenty of experience with this. Yet, this doesn't necessarily make it a better product by itself.

The official Plugin-Store is the one-stop shop for plugins and styles, all submissions are reviewed by a WoltLab employee and all payments are processed directly by us. Plugins themselves install completely automated through our package system, no fiddling with files or the database required. And again, we have this since 2007, it has more than proven itself. While this is quite a nice touch and certainly makes updates and upgrades a breeze, it has little impact on the day-to-day business of running a forum.

The real question is what you are looking for, or to be more precise, what is actually important for you and your community. If you care about having pretty much mostly first-party apps in use, then we are the only other competitor of Invision that provides a comparable portfolio. The software is in active development (WoltLab Suite 5.5 Released was merely a week ago) and has a long history dating back all the way to 2001.

But at the end of the day, the software must get the job done and the best way to make an impression for yourself is to give it a try. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions or run in any sort of difficulties.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!