Is there a way to ADD "User Group Application" Plugin to Custom Profiles?

• Affected Version
    WoltLab Suite 5.4

Hello,

I recently added the Plugin named "User Group Application" to my forum.

However when I did this, and activated it,(including running a text "forum registration" as admin) no one was able to register as a member of my forum!

When an attempt was made to register, a message came up saying "correct invalid entries". However there were no entries marked as such;

all that would occur was that no one was able to get past the point of filling out the "Register Form".

Obvious;y, because of the Custom User Field I have implemented on the "registration form", this plugin cannot function properly.

Is there a way to ADD a Custom User Field for this plugin?

DMedia helped me with the previous setup of the Custom User Field regarding the "registration form".

Would appreciate your help again; OR if not available, I would appreciate someone helping me with this issue. Thank you! :)

• Obvious;y, because of the Custom User Field I have implemented on the "registration form", this plugin cannot function properly.

This is not quite "obvious", because the plugin does not interfere with custom profile fields during registration at all and since you have disabled group applications during the registration, the issue is most-likely not caused by simply installing the plugin.

It seems you still have the plugin installed and i was able to register just fine?

I've marked my account for deletion (7 days), but if you don't have the plugin installed, please do so and delete the account, so i can try again immediately.

~ DMedia

• This is not quite "obvious", because the plugin does not interfere with custom profile fields during registration at all and since you have disabled group applications during the registration, the issue is most-likely not caused by simply installing the plugin.

It seems you still have the plugin installed and i was able to register just fine?

I've marked my account for deletion (7 days), but if you don't have the plugin installed, please do so and delete the account, so i can try again immediately.

Hello,

I have confused you because I left out one very important fact:

Yes, it is currently possible for anyone to register now because I disengaged all the sections (fields) in the User Group Plugin - (refer to screenshot #4).

The reason why I chose to have this plugin to be a part of my forum was due to making it ;possible for a forum registrant to choose which "group" they desired to belong to at the same time they were registering - rather than having to wait for the admin or mod to assign the group to each forum registrant manually.

So .... if I select "yes" in the Groups Application Plugin fields (with the way things are currently), then it is impossible for any potential forum registrant to register to my forum.

However, I would like that option to be viable while also keeping my original Custom Users Field intact, e.g., the field which makes it necessary for a registrant to accept that my forum is an adults only forum, and additionally stipulating that they are at least 18 Years of Age at the time he or she registers.

Is it possible to adapt the "Groups Application Plugin" (incorporate it into my existing Custom User Field set-up)?

• The custom profile field has (almost guaranteed) nothing to do with the registration not working when group applications are enabled during registration. Can you take a screenshot of the error message showing the entire registration form?

Also, have you set the user group type of the groups you want people to be able to join to something other than "Closed" (free for all in your case)?

Addition: The plugin "Usergroups application during registration" adds an option to show the group during registration. Did you set this accordingly?

Edit:

Adding group applications to the registration form does not seem to be part of WoltLab's plugin for moderated user groups. You may want to post your question over at YoureCom so Marcel Beckers can have a look at this. I have not encountered this plugin once and really thought this would be possible by default :D

~ DMedia

Edited 4 times, last by DMedia ().

• Hello DMedia,

Thanks for your reply!

I will get back to you after making some more "adjustments" of settings - as per your guidelines;

also I will run some more "registration tests" after each of these settings have been changed/adjusted.

But it may be a few hours or more before I get back here to tell you what the status of all this is, as I have been working several hours at home on moving

furniture and doing a lot of cleaning, etc. And so right now I am going to take a much needed break!

• Edit:

Adding group applications to the registration form does not seem to be part of WoltLab's plugin for moderated user groups. You may want to post your question over at YoureCom so Marcel Beckers can have a look at this. I have not encountered this plugin once and really thought this would be possible by default

Hello,

When I first logged in here I misunderstood this "edit note" from you - apparently.

So it looks as though this Plugin is not going to work for me.

But how do I delete all the uploads regarding this Plugin?

In the ACP> "Pages" (where these plugins appear), I am unable to delete anything to do with Moderated User Groups, etc.,

as the option to delete (the "X" for delete is not active). :(

• So it looks as though this Plugin is not going to work for me.

You can probably make it work for you just fine. What you want is setting the group type for the groups users should be able to join to "free for all" so you don't have to confirm the application after registration. There is no reason to give up that fast :)

The problem is that you essentially have two plugins installed what i think is what you're not aware of.

The first one is "WoltLab Suite Core: Moderated User Groups" which adds the functionality of user group applications (via user control panel). This plugin is included in your license.

By default, you can not add group applications to the registration form. This functionality comes from the following plugin:

As this is a plugin from a third-party developer, you can only get support from them. It's often stated somewhere in the description. In this case, you would need to ask Marcel Beckers in his support forum over at YoureCom.de. If there really is an issue with the plugin, he is able to do something about it.

Honestly, I still think it's just a configuration error as other people using custom profile fields would have already reported this. Thats why I asked you to take a screenshot of the error message, which also shows the entire registration form.

In the ACP> "Pages" (where these plugins appear), I am unable to delete anything to do with Moderated User Groups, etc.,

as the option to delete (the "X" for delete is not active)

ACP > Pages is a list of available pages in your installation. If a plugin adds a page, it gets added to this list. If you want to uninstall a plugin and everything that comes with it, you need to remove it under Configuration > Packages.

~ DMedia

• Honestly, I still think it's just a configuration error as other people using custom profile fields would have already reported this. Thats why I asked you to take a screenshot of the error message, which also shows the entire registration form.

Hello,

So I tried a another test registration . (DJtest3) It would not go through as error message came up. So I took several screenshots to show you.

Notice that in the register form screenshot there is NO user group selection showing.

What you want is setting the group type for the groups users should be able to join to "free for all" so you don't have to confirm the application after registration.

So am I missing this setting?

Where do I find this particular setting in the ACP?

Depending upon what you can tell me, I am either going to "get it" this next time around, OR, I am going to delete the Plugin (as shown in your Post #7).

Most Plugins I don't have a problem with when I install and set them up. But this particular Plugin is "driving me up the wall"!

• Where do I find this particular setting in the ACP?

You can find the option(s) by selecting a group under Users > User Groups. Please also add a checkmark to the option that shows the group during registration. It should be below the text field for the group leader. I have the suspision that the plugin is indeed responsible for the error as it may not handle registration forms correctly if no user group is set to be selectable but the option that its mandatory/required is enabled. If you have correctly setup a user group, it should be visible in the registration form.

~ DMedia

Edited 3 times, last by DMedia ().

• Hello DMedia,

I have spent enough time on this issue - I have pulled the plug so to speak; e.g. deleted the Plugins associated with this "project".

There is no sense in either of us spending more time on this issue.

However in "closing", I do want to express my sincere thanks for you trying to solve this issue. Your help was greatly appreciated. :)

• Just to close up on this: Exactly as I suspected, the error was caused by the fact that the option to declare the group application as a mandatory field was enabled (last option), but no group was actually set to be visible/selectable during registration. This will be fixed with the next plugin update.

The problem would (most-likely) not have occurred if the following settings I suggested had been made for at least one user group:

~ DMedia

• Just to close up on this: Exactly as I suspected, the error was caused by the fact that the option to declare the group application as a mandatory field was enabled (last option), but no group was actually set to be visible/selectable during registration. This will be fixed with the next plugin update.

The problem would (most-likely) not have occurred if the following settings I suggested had been made for at least one user group:

Hello DMedia,

Just a quick note here to let you know that your assistance and guided instructions on how I could modify my Forum Registration Form to include:

Group Users, selected choice of Group for new Forum Member, and setting up an acceptance and acknowledgement of adult material, and age verification of any individual (Guest or Visitor registering as a new Forum Member), finally paid off!

I now have all these particulars set up exactly as I wan them; and it works fine!

I also changed the part about the word "Accept" being typed in by the forum registrant on the Registration Form from "Password" to "Text" format -

as you said it should be.

Thanks! I appreciate you helping me make all this possible! :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!