Unfinished tags added

• Affected App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

Suppose I am adding tags, I typed app dev and, app development is listed in suggestions. Then I click on app development. Then, 2 tags are added instead of one. add dev and app development.

The only tag I intend to add to this thread was woltlab. See the result for yourselves.

Smile , it's good for health

• This happens when adding a file to the Plugin-Store as well, on the official WoltLab site. I see it as a time saver rather than a nuisance.

• I can confirm this. I'm using Chrome 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit) on Windows 10.

My styles and plugins in the Plugin-Store.

♪Quiero robarle los minutos a las horas pa' que mis padres nunca se me pongan viejos...♫

• Official Post

I cannot reproduce this locally nor on woltlab.com, tested with both Firefox 53 and Chrome 58.

I have typed in "Test" and then clicked on any of the suggestions that are not "test", only the selected item got added. The behavior is the same when selecting a tag via keyboard navigation.

• It happened again today while I was adding some synonyms for tags.

♪Quiero robarle los minutos a las horas pa' que mis padres nunca se me pongan viejos...♫

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I can reproduce the behavior in every tag I want to add, it's triggered when the tag is clicked from the proposed list but not by hitting Enter.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

since the first for me , french language

• Official Post

It appears to be happening very randomly, I can reproduce this to some extent, that means that trying hard enough will trigger the bug eventually. At least this explains why I haven't experienced this on the first time.

Edit: I figured it out. The issue was caused by a small part of code that detects if the user left the input field and moved the focus somewhere else. In this case, the current value is automatically added as a tag to avoid it being discarded on submit, for example when the user forgot to select the tag.

The problem is, that clicks on the suggestions are basically a shift of the focus, away from the input field and now onto the clicked item. This shift occurs once the mouse button is pushed down, but the item is only selected (and thus the input field cleared) when the mouse button is released again (= a full click). Unfortunately the code that checks if the input field is no longer focused kicks in after 100ms and if the click (= mousedown + mouseup) takes longer than .1 seconds, then the input value is added to the list.

I've modified the code to not perform any action if the suggestion list is still open at that time. It also explains why I had issues reproducing this, I seem to click way faster than you, those who experienced this issue, do. Never thought that a piece of my code would start judging people, but, well, you never know :D

Edit2: I was a bit curious and did some quick tests with console.time(), looks like I need on average 60ms to perform a click. Guess I should take that into serious consideration in the future.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!