image proxy

• App
    WoltLab Suite Core

For those of us who have sites using full ssl, an image proxy system would be very beneficial. It would also speed up sites, as you would not entirely be dependent on the source site loading.

I am aware there is an add-on for this, but the basic function should be in the core

• Not, it's not. It's just something that needs some attention. But this can be easily prevented by disallowing such hosts ;)

There are always going to be new host that may bring up such warnings. You cannot track them all down and not everyone is going to report such an error.

Most people will see that big red browser warning and automatically assume, without investigating it, that the problem is your site and they will simply leave.

• The Proxy stores the images on the forum host but for some images you maybe dont have the rights to store them.

And that can be solved with a simple valid request to remove it. A lot easier than having your own site blacklisted because someone used a bad link as seen here.

Chrome Malware Meldung auf Woltlab.com

There are other forum developments that have a proxy system. And it works just fine for them. So what I'm asking for is not unusual.

• @Adam Howard one of the main problems Woltlab will always have when competing with other forum solutions is the fact, that they try to bring all their features in accordance with with German laws.

Germany is big on 2 things

Privacy
    Copyright

I can see the problem there.

But it is an advantage when it comes to privacy, compared to where I originally came from (the last development I used).

• I plan on making my site 100% SSL. Just as Woltlab.com is here. But I also wish to allow people to hotlink photos. This currently is a problem because the mix of ssl and non-ssl outside sources serves up an certificate warning.

This is why you need something to either force the image to become local (upload) OR something to give the illusion that it is local, such as a proxy.

• The plugin is licensed under LGPL so that you can hire a 3rd-party developer to fulfill your wishes, if I haven't not enought time to do this in the feature.

As non-profit site with no intention of ever adding ads or subscriptions, we'd like to keep our cost down. For that matter, another site I manage is all about ad blocking and user privacy, so that that too would be a no go.

This is something that is basic and required based on technology (SSL). So this is something that needs to be in the core for technological compatibilities for the future.

• This is something that is basic and required based on technology (SSL). So this is something that needs to be in the core for technological compatibilities for the future.

To expand on that...

Google for example has already publicly stated they will give SSL sites priority search index rating.

HTTP2 will also make the need for an image proxy a necessary requirement

Like it or not... This is the future (knock, knock)

It's like trying to ignore the requirement for making responsive designs while promoting mobile support... You wouldn't do that and couldn't do that. This too is becoming such a requirement.

• I think it shouldn't be an core feature for many reasons.

If you want to have "technological compatibilities" without any 3rd-party plugins you should interdict the image-bbcode and allow only attachments.

That would be against the growing trend of the whole Internet ... ie... Against what has become the social norm for any community. And while you could do it, you would become less relevant

• Offizieller Beitrag

I understood very well, that SSL-compatibility is very important. I think so, too. But I think an image proxy isn't the right way for the most communities. It's only a option for a small branch.

Maybe it's an better option, to prevent unsecure content in the image bbcode.

PS: You need not quote every post of me.

• I understood very well, that SSL-compatibility is very important. I think so, too. But I think an image proxy isn't the right way for the most communities. It's only a option for a small branch.

Maybe it's an better option, to prevent unsecure content in the image bbcode.

PS: You need not quote every post of me.

I always quote who I'm talking to or addressing or replying. I'm sorry that bothers you... I do not know why and find it odd... But anyways...

Preventing the use of hot link would as stated before... Would make your site less relevant. In this age when it is common practice for people to hot link, blocking it would go against people's intuitions (making you less relevant and less user friendly).

The idea solution is not to remove or prevent a feature (future), but to improve and expand. This is how growth works. :)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Aslan (20. Januar 2015 um 20:53)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!